Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don555_gw

Let's talk FarNorth plums....

don555
12 years ago

There has been a bunch of threads recently on FarNorth fruits of many persuasions, but I don't recall seeing anything on one of the most reliable of northern fruits -- plums.

So here's some pics of northern plums....

Pembina plum tree, overview:

Closer up of fruit:

Closer yet, Pembina plum...

Close-up of Pembina Plum fruit:

This is an unknown variety of tree plum, which ripens a week or 10 days ahead of Pembina, with smaller fruit but sweet skin and flesh, not quite as hardy as Pembina...

I have ZERO experience growing the bush plums and/or cherry-plum hybrids. Would love to hear other's experiences with these or other plums!

Comments (10)

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I used to have a Pembina, it sometimes produced bumper crops. The flesh was extremely sweet but most people probably wouldn't eat the skin. I also had problems sometimes with those wasps (?) that ruin them.

The tree got to about 40 years old (inherited from Grandpa) and suddenly died. I think it just got old.

• ljpother
    12 years ago

I've got a plum that has bitter skin, sweet inside. Production is variable -- about 8 litres this year, loaded last year. I've never seen it loaded like Don555's. One year it looked like I would but most of the tiny fruits dropped.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Nice crop you have Don!
    Think I have one also but when I took the plums to the fruit show they told me it was Supreme. The tree was labeled Pembina. I couldn't tell the difference between the two. Mine looks the same as yours but not as loaded, the skin is bitter. You should take it out to the Devonian Fruit show coming up Sept. 17, 18th. How old is you Pembina tree? Looks fairly old, perhaps around 30 years?
    Can you post a picture from the other tree please, since it's not as hardy it might not be doing good here.

{{gwi:123106}}

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Here is a plum tree, photo from Aug. 20, this year, I top worked over 10 years ago for a older friend in the city who complained about tree not giving fruit, he's dream was to see fruit before passing.

There are about 3 or 4 variates, the yellow, Sprout's Sunshine, [most vigorous] blue prune plum still green, Green Gage and Apricot.

This tree a bit neglected, leaning badly...the now sick gentlemen cant look after, I will prune it in spring.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Don, your second picture looks a bit like the rootstock that used to sucker from my Pembina. It would produce smaller fruit which often dropped before ripening. There were some in the neighbour's yard and I don't think they realized they were growing rootstock.

Konrad, that yellow plum is so pretty! Is it a good tasting variety?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

I agree about the tart skin of 'Pembina' ... I had tasted 'Brook Red', it is very similar, though without the tartness, or at least the fruit I had eaten was as such.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

The yellow plum is very nice but they need to be picked when falling off and soften up for about 3 day's in the house. The skin is also a bit bitter, some people peal it off, the inside is totally nice, semi freestone. I ate my few Brook Gold, the Red is just ripening now, only a handful, both, the worst producer for me.

The first time ever I have a crop of the yellow Sprout's Sunshine, growing out of town on the acreage, it turns out this is the hardiest of all. I grafted this to a sucker, some Siberian Apricot, which never did anything.

{{gwi:83889}}

• Collin001
    12 years ago

I'd be interested in taste comparisons of the various plums.

Toka plum. Planted last year. Put on 3ft of growth this year. Pic taken mid summer. Leaves do not interest the caterpillars like the Pembina. Last plant on the property to leaf out in June. Very very late. Supposed to be a pollinator but flowered a week after Pembina! Rats.

Pembina Plum. Planted last summer. Grew very little this year. Bushing out. Very large leaves. Caterpillars love the leaves.

One Patterson Pride, recommended by the U of S, seedling status. Two wild plum seedlings from U of S planted last year on a dare, small. Pics pending. Hoping to grow large enough for graft material for better pollination.

One Ivanofka plum. Planted last year with wild seedlings. Growing quite well surprisingly.

• don555
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Konrad,
    My Pembina was planted 20 years ago. It didn't produce very well until I grafted on a few sprigs of "Perfection" plum. That instantly improved the yields from a half-dozen or so plums to hundreds of plums. I can't tell the difference between Pembina and Perfection, they seem the same to me, and it sounds like your "Supreme" would also fall into that category.

As for the other, less hardy tree, I don't really have a picture that shows that. Suffice it to say that even within the city some of its branches suffered serious dieback last winter, whereas the Pembina plum seemed unfazed.

Love the yellow plum!!

• Michael Oosting
    3 years ago

Old post, but I figure I'll reply in case you see it, Don. If they're clingstone I think your second mystery plum tree is "Superb Perfection", one of the 1960 U Sask releases by Cecil Patterson. Here's U Sask's description of it: "an early, very hardy, slightly elongated red skinned plum (4 x 4.5 cm) with sweet, juicy, yellow flesh. It is a clingstone type with moderately sour skin".