Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer arrives

Posted by marciaz3 Tropical3/NWOnt (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 4, 09 at 7:13

Well, summer has finally arrived in Northwestern Ontario! Warm temperatures and mostly dry weather for at least another week - it hasn't been like this since that one freak week in June!

Can i (please) deadhead my roses one more time for more blooms? :) Whaddya think?

Marcia,
wondering which hemisphere we're in now!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer arrives

Deadheading might not hurt, but I'd be surprised if you squeezed out another bloom, though I sure don't blame you for trying. Pruning roses in the fall generally isn't recommended in books I've read on roses. New, soft growth can be damaged if the weather should go south on us again. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: North Country Gardening

o

Hi Marcia,

I deadheaded all my roses last week and yes there are definately more buds comming along.

I know our weather has been different than yours this year. But this is one of the best rose years I have ever had here. Most of the canes were weighted down there were so many flowers.....and that was on all the different kinds of roses that I have. I really have never seen such a display here before and some of these roses are a good 10 years old. It was a nice surprise.

Deadhead and dance. LOL!

Hi Neil. Pruning and deadheading are two different things. In my area we have to deadhead to help prevent the bears comming into the rose hips in late summer and fall. Deadheading hasn't hurt the roses at all. Now if you prune, you could definately lose your rose over the winter...for sure.

Sierra

o

Martin Frobisher is the nicest it's ever been and since it's right there when i get out of the car, i'm always deadheading it. I've been holding back for the past couple of weeks but i really want to get a few more blooms out of it. Same with Hansa. It's had a rough year and deserves to have some more flowers. Hawkeye Belle is just setting buds now - it has one tiny bloom. I think if i deadheaded Champlain, he might get a few more blooms.

Guess what i'll be doing tomorrow! :)

o

You can deadhead Hansa right till hard frost. I've been doing that for a couple of years now.

o

Champlain has an awesome amount of buds right now! I can't wait for him to bloom again!

Marcia,
camping outside, camera in hand :>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here