Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wruwtrix

Need to cover plants this week?

wruwtrix
14 years ago

I'm a new homeowner and new gardener in Zone 3 northern Minnesota. This fall (1st week of September), I planted a 30x4 foot shade perennial foundation garden and a small perennial/bulb garden in full sun away from the house. Plants are all zone 3 with the exception of a couple of zone 4 cranesbill near the house.

This week, temperatures are set to drop into the mid 20s with highs from 40-55F. Should I cover my relatively new plants with straw at night? If so, do I need to take it off during the day? I have woodchip-style mulch covering the dirt for moisture control, but nothing covering the foliage itself.

Any guidance on when it is advisable to cover plants in the fall? We can usually expect several feet of snow, but not any significant amount for at least another month.

Thanks!

v

Comments (2)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

How deep is your wood chip mulch. If it's 3 to 4 inches you needn't cover too much. If it's only covering the dirt then You will need to cover. If you have dry fallen leaves they make excellent winter mulch. They will get wet, but if you put them on dry there is little air pockets that keep the roots from freezing as hard, much like the snow does later on. Put a few around the plants now, but not too deep yet. You don't want mice and varmits making a nest and chewing on your plants all winter. After the ground is frozen solid them heap the leaves up but leave some of the plant showing.

Don't be too eager to remove it all in the spring either. I have lost more plants to hard spring or fall frosts than I ever lost with a hard winter. When The weather warms and the plants start to grow remove it from on top of the plant but leave it around the roots. A good thing to do with those zone 4's by the house os to build a wind shelter for them, A few stakes out from the foundation, around the plant and stapled with burlap or such will do.

• wruwtrix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply oilpainter. My mulch is only really for moisture control, so I will be picking up a straw bale after work today.

I've heard that leaves as mulch can be bad for plants here because of our frequent spring (and sometimes fall) freeze-thaw cycles (it does at least soft freeze every month of the year here typically, as you might be used to also). Our fall and spring is when we receive the most precipitation, so the leaves just tend to rot and smother the crown of the plant.

Today being a very acute exception, we almost never have any substantial wind here. Too many trees and hills, I guess, but the wind shelter is interesting. So now - to mulch in our twice a year 30 mph sustained winds!