Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmmwiebe

Cherry-plums and other cherries

cmmwiebe
13 years ago

This past spring was a severe test of ornamental and fruit plants. Numbers of older Clematis did not return and so is the case with some of my Cherry-plum plants. I had quite nice plants of Sapa and Convoy which I think were on Prunus Bessyi (Western Sandcherry) and they were totally top dead. By this time there are 2 that are showing signs of new shoots so I am hoping they will harden off and make the winter. We have had so much rain though this last several days that it seems likley that there could now be some stem rot take place if it does not dry out.

The Sandcherries on the other hand did well but did not produce more than a few berries.

All Evans Cherry suckers which my brother picked up from a fellow in Edmonton died so that was a total loss.

I did get one good sucker from Carmine Jewel and look forward to it blooming next year. There is a family who operate a booth at our Farmer's Market who use the Carmine Jewel as their feature item in Ice Cream and sell frozen pitted berries as well. They seem to do very well and I hope to drop in and see them this fall yet. I think they are Prairie Sun Orchards.

Carmine Jewel has fostered a marketing organization which you can find at this address.

http://www.cherryproducers.com/index.html

I would be interested in hearing how other growers have done this past summer with producing trees and shrubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian Cherry Producers

Comments (4)

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

You can report it to GW...they will get rid of it.

I'm afraid with all the moisture we been getting the hardening off this
    fall goes out the window and we will see ALLOT of die back come spring.
    I don't think this cherry prairie growing thing is a sure thing.
    It's a hit and miss thing...I guess that goes with farming.
    Man..some really put allot of investment into this...from game fencing
    to harvester etc. I don't think it was a good season here in the prairies
    this year.
    My Evans did poor, the one's I grafted to pin cherries produced more
    then double. Western Sand cherries put on a nice little crop on a couple of 3 year old plants. Cherry plums didn't set fruit, the regular plums like Brook Gold/Red, Patterson's Pride, Sprout Sunshine, Supreme & Pembina put on a little, oh..the Ptiisin did good. Some European, Green Gage, Mirabelle von Nancy, and some Prune plums have surprisingly set a little fruit with low temp at around minus 43 C. last winter.

• cmmwiebe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Western Sand cherries put on a nice little crop on a couple of 3 year old plants."
    Konrad have you found much in variety of the Western Sandcherry. A number of years ago I tried to collect some different types and did get a couple of green-yellow fruited as well as a very large fruited black(Bert Porters Honeywood Nursery I think or at least I got it there). Since then I have quit growing them for one reason or another but right now I have a plant which I have kept and it is quite upright to 42" tall but has not had fruit on it yet. There was a fellow down in Montana who was part of something called the Western Sandcherry Society which was a rather informal group of interested people but I have also lost contact with him. Sandcherry is not a popular fruit but it does make good jelly and also works good in a fruit soup like the Mennnonites make.

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

>> have you found much in variety of the Western Sandcherry.This was only my second year of fruit and all cherries had a deep dark
    almost black color on several plants. Yes, supposedly a very good jelly
    from these fruits!

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

Sandcherries make absolutely the very best jelly. I miss having them. We had them as a hedge between our garden and lawn. Every spring we lost 1 or 2 from the bark splitting. I suggest that you wrap the trunk in the winter, if you live in zone 3 or colder. Too bad we dodn't think of doing that to ours. The sap freezes and on sunny days it may thaw and it is that that splits the bark.

If anyone wants the recipe for sour cherry jelly let me know and I'll post it. It is not on the certo list of jellies any more.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County