Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny_mclean_petite_garden

Hollyhock in Zone 3

Don't remember if I asked this question before but here goes. Has anyone been successful overwintering hollyhock in a zone 3? And I mean big, double hollyhock like Chater's? :)

Ginny

Comments (17)

• ljpother
    12 years ago

My first year plants overwinter with no problem. After they've bloomed, it's hard to tell. Some do die out; but, others keep coming back in the same place. Overwintering or reseeding, who knows.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That was my thought too, Larry. Years ago when I lived in Calgary, I started a whole lot of hollyhock for a friend who loved them. She had them for a few years and they seemed to get taller and more robust each year. I think they were on the south side of her house. Don't know if she still has them or not. That would be about 9 years ago. I have neighbours who have hollyhock every year in the same place but they are the old single type and are they just reseeding? Thanks for the input. :)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Last year, I had planted 'Almond Blossom', they did not flower in their first season (from an early sowing) and wintered over very well (had TONS of snow) and then grew to over 7 ft tall and flowered like cazy ... too bad I had not staked them up!

Terrance

Original Author
    12 years ago

That's the kind of hollyhock I am talking about! Do you collect seeds Terry? I'll drive out and pick some up! :)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Ginny, I just went out and collected a small handful of nicely ripened seeds, the coffee(or tea) will be on if you don't mind a bit of a drive out to Spruce Grove, you can also then see the 'Blue Moon' wisteria and the Norway maples I've posted about.

Terry

Original Author
    12 years ago

Terry ~ email me your number for directions and time :)
    I am just off the Yellowhead in the east end

gardenofangels200@shaw.ca

• don555
    12 years ago

Yep, those are indeed some stunning hollyhocks!

• shazam_z3
    12 years ago

There's a yard a few houses down that has a ton of hollyhocks. Looks great. I've had terrible luck with them.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

These I had received from Plants of Distinction of the UK. At the same time had also ordered some really awesome snapdragons. The hollyhocks seeds are taking a long time to mature and killing frost will very soon zap them :(

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Great showing Terry!
    When I was living in Lethbridge, my backyard had always nice hollyhock coming up every year, here I can't seem to grow them, perhaps I never tried hard enough. I one's traded seeds, [including hollyhocks] with honey, ...think it was my worst trade ever, nothing came up. Perhaps it was my fault?
    Is there a secret in growing the seeds?

• ljpother
    12 years ago

Plant lots of seed. :)

You could try wintersowing or just set a place apart to start plants. I weed out most of my starts in the garden.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Konrad, I've had success with these double types when I've started them early indoors or directly sown them, they then had either flowered in the first season and died or wintered over and bloomed like crazy in their second year, as those shown in the photo had. I've had very easy success with the single flowered types, they seed out like crazy.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

My wife got desperate and bought a couple of plants last year but died over winter, even with lots of snow. She bought another one this year..will see.

• Danielle S
    8 years ago

Hello All! I appreciate the local input as I'm in Edmonton. If this conversation is still flowing I'd be curious to know the following: This year I transplanted some mature hollyhocks (young ferns in early Spring) and while I'm seeing continuous growth of new young leaves the more mature leaves are just dying back. They are in a south facing section of the garden and have a fair bit of space around them. Lilies, peonies and ferns are their neighbours. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and happy growing!

• Danielle S
    8 years ago
    Thanks @donna.
    I'm hoping (as they're the black hollyhocks I love so much) that if left alone this year they take the season off and come back well next year.
  • donna_in_sask
    8 years ago

^What zone are you? I tried growing the black hollyhocks once and they didn't overwinter.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA