Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny_mclean_petite_garden

McFaydens order arrived today...should I plant my tulips?

I received my McFayden's order today with a few lilies and irises but mostly tulips and small bulbs. We are having a really warm fall here and I am wondering if I should wait till October to plant these bulbs. Any thoughts?

Comments (8)

• bdgardener
    12 years ago

planted my costco tulips last week. C

• xaroline
    12 years ago

Yes, we are planting bulbs now,
    so they have good root systems before freeze up.
    Caroline

• valleyrimgirl
    12 years ago

Which irises did you get from McFaydens?

I called today to find out when I could pick mine up, and they said that all the irises were back ordered and none had come in yet from the supplier. hmmm....

I would plant the irises in pots and grow them in the house for the winter, as it is too late for them to get good root systems now in the garden. They need an established root system in order to make it thru our winter. Once they confirm that my irises are in, I will pick them up and plant them in pots...

Brenda

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Brenda ~ I always plant late arriving irses in pots and overwinter in the house. This year I have MANY! I also got the 2 collections from Botanus and 4 from Vesey's. I usually purchase my irses from Trail's End or Chuck and have many from both of them that arrived in August.

Ann just sent me 5 I was looking for as a gift for the puppy they adopted from my pack, I'm assuming....;). I much prefer fresh dug early to shriveled up late. =:>

My main concern was the warm weather and the tulips. We are having a very late summer here. :/

I received these ones from McFayden's

Visiting Royalty
    Raven Girl
    Exclusivity
    Rio Rojo

Vesey's- 2 Rustler, Pagan Dance and Ziggy. :)

Wonder what is up with McFayden's?

• valleyrimgirl
    12 years ago

I don't know...with McFayden's. They told me to call them back next Friday again...

I ordered...
    Raven Girl (Schreiners '08)
    Evening Drama (Black, Paul '03)
    Drama Queen (Keppel, Keith '04)
    Final Episode (Blyth, Barry '01)

I was interested in three of these irises as I attended the American Iris Society National Convention and saw Keith Keppel, Barry Blyth and Paul Black getting various awards for the irises that they have hybridized. Raven Girl is sooooo dark I just 'had' to have it!!

I ordered mine on August 8. Maybe you ordered before I did?

Brenda

• don555
    12 years ago

Definitely get those tulips in the ground, the sooner the better! Think about established tulips -- the tops die down in June and July, then by the end of July they are just bulbs so it's like you've just planted bulbs at the end of July. Hot weather won't hurt them at all, it's important to get them in the ground and setting roots for spring.

• Slimy_Okra
    12 years ago

The long range forecast calls for a very cold November and December. Don't be deceived by the warm weather we're having now - all it takes is a shift of the jet stream, which is indeed forecast to happen around Halloween, to plunge us into the 'wrong' side of it. I would plant them now.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll be planting those bulbs this weekend for sure. I didn't get too many for the front gardens but wanted a little color in the spring. :)