Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
daylily I.D.help needed please

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 4, 09 at 10:02

I bought this daylily about 7 years ago. I have lost the tag and no longer know what the name is. Thought maybe someone here might know. I have 'Ury Winniford' but the throat markings are darker, these are more reddish. Thanks. Marg

This is the plant. It flowers for nearly 2 months.
Unknown daylily

Here is a close up of the blooms.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: daylily I.D.help needed please

Here is a website all about the Siloam dayliles with pictures of cultivars. Maybe you will recognize yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Siloam daylily pics.

o
Siloam ID

In looking through the pics. myself of many Siloam hybrids, my guess for your lost name daylily would be:

SILOAM PEEWEE 18"/2.87" cream with deep reddish purple eye zone Early Mid season
SILOAM SUGAR TIME 20"/2.87" light apricot with burgundy eyezone Mid season
SILOAM LITTLE FAIRY 23"/3.25" cream with rose eyezone Mid season

There are several others listed as pink, but yours seems more of a pastel yellow.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 6, 09 at 11:59

Thanks ontnative but those are all to tall. Mine only gets about 15". I did post on the daylily forum to and I got a response that it might be Siloam Virginia Henson. I looked it up but most pictures showed it had white petals. There was one on DavesGarden that showed the same yellow cast to the petals. I had Joan Senior in the holding bed which is clay soil. I moved it to a raised bed with good amended soil and it turned yellowish. I'm going to move it back to the holding bed because I want my white back. I didn't think soil could make such a difference but I have also talked to a daylily grower and she says it happens quite often. Back to my daylily, I believe it may be Siloam Virginia Henson. Thanks. Marg

o
Virginia Henson??

'Virginia Henson' is listed on the Siloam website as 18"/4" pink, with ruby red eye zone and green throat EM

o

Hi Marg - I have Virginia Henson and it looks much more pink than your picture but like you said, the soil may make a difference. Also, the eyezones of my blooms are very pinky red more like a ruby pink. Even on the really pale blooms.

I also have Joan Senior which blooms with a definite yellow cast and yellowish ribs. I wish it was white!

Ginny

o

Hi Ginny - maybe I'm just hoping it is Virginia Henson! I'm going to be dividing it in the spring and moving some to my raised bed so I will be able to tell if the soil is making the difference. What kind of soil do you garden in? Maybe you should move JS to clay and you'll get your white! Marg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here