Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First frost

Posted by beegood Zone 3 Alberta (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 10:18

Not a whole lot but enuff to turn the grass quite crisp in places. Guess it's a sign of more to come.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First frost

Frost yesterday in lower lying areas of my yard, though nothing was harmed and a warm forecast ahead with no frost expected for awhile ... hope we can again go well into October!

o

It was zero here this morning, so a lot of tender plants are done. Hopefully I took slips of everything I hoped to keep.

o

I'm in Vermont and we had strips of frost on the ground this morning. Enough to zap the tops of my huge coleus and finish off about half my cucumbers. The tomatoes had some sheets on them and I haven't dared look.

o

We have a frost warning for tonight, but the forecast is for +2. Everything covered, just in case.

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 13:59

I am in mid-Minn. and we have mild freezes with high twenties for the next two days.
I cover my tomatoes and heavily watered the extremely dry garden hoping to get through the worst nights as over night temps are supposed be above freezing after the next two days.

o

Brrr! Officially -7 C here but our backyard recorded -12 C this morning. All the tender crops are toast (no point in covering them at this point) but the swiss chard shrugged it off.

o

On Wednesday night, they had been calling for lows just above freezing, though it was much colder than forecast and because I was away that evening, I was unable to bring anything in other than these Alstroemeria and a wisteria bloom next to the house. Let me count, it's now "only" 8 1/2 months until the 'Blue Moon' wisteria is again in full flower, sigh! Well, let's just hope for a nice autumn and a repeat of last winter's very mild conditions :)

Photobucket

Terrance

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here