Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

End of Season?

nutsaboutflowers
10 years ago

Good morning all.

Just curious how much of your garden you've dug up and gotten rid of.

All my flowers are still blooming like gangbusters, but what about your vegetables?

Have you dug up your beans and peas? Is there any reason not to?

Comments (6)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

Haven't gotten rid of anything yet. The two week thing from the Weather Network shows lows above 9C, so i'll leave things as long as i can. The more tomatoes that can ripen on the vine the better, and maybe we'll get another cucumber. LOL Only one this year... There are still lots of beans that i'd like to get picked by the end of the week as well. There are a couple of bean-lovin' grandchildren who will like to have a few feeds of them. :)

On the other hand, a friend of mine took everything out this past weekend! She has a good cold room where she can store things so it makes more sense for her.

Me, i like to prolong the agony!

• northspruce
    10 years ago

My peas, tomatoes, peppers and zucchini are still producing, but my pole beans and cukes have given up. I leave the dead plants on my veg garden because the deer come up from the river in the winter and eat them.

I won't be doing anything with my flower gardens until November.

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    10 years ago

I just dug my potatoes today as the tops were dying, The peas never amounted to anything this year and have pretty much withered away now. I dug the carrots just because. The pumpkin vine is still stretching itself all over the garden but no pumpkins - only male flowers - the female flowers are no where near being ready. A lot of my flowers are finished or nearly so.

• User
    10 years ago

nothing here to harvest but the petunias are still blooming like mad so I will leave them in until I get back from Vancouver hopefully we won't get an early snow like we did last year.

• thirsty_dirt_77
    10 years ago

So far we've removed: garlic, onions, Yukon Gold potatoes, kale, beets, beans and 1/2 the swiss chard.

The peas have long been done but are still standing to help block/trap the grasshoppers (yes, still grasshopper issues).

The rest of the potatoes will be dug out within the month and I usually pull the carrots and turnips late September/early October when the cold room is cold enough the store them in. There's also a few kohlrabi and the shallots left.

The spaghetti squash is ripening nicely outside still and with the warmer weather the zucchini is starting to bloom again. The tomatoes are still in the garden and a few are finally starting to show color. Our forcast for the week show highs of 25C and nothing lower than 10C so there's no need to start going crazy pulling things.

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

@ Thirsty_Dirt, you can leave kale and swiss chard in the ground. They will go on producing until Halloween most years. Very frost-hardy plants, especially the kale.
    So far, I've pulled onions, shallots, peas, beans. The first two because they were done and the last two because they gave up.

Other stuff is still growing gangbusters.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living