Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beegood_gw

frost!!

beegood_gw
10 years ago

Had my first frost last night. Not a killer . Just a warning that the cold is on the way. I live north of Sherwood park north of the Yellowhead.:

Comments (28)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

We had it a couple of nights ago. My fimbriata begonia is toast, even though it's hung several feet from the ground. Same with the container of white impatiens and lobelia, that was so pretty. The zinnias are done for, but all the asters survived.

Last night it stayed at 15. Can't win! LOL

• bdgardener
    10 years ago

can't win here either, frost last night, but only tenders still out are the zucs, they were covered, now we are suppose to have a good 10 days. Do I really need more zucchini? Well, of course!, I need to get every bit of goodness out of the garden cause it's a long haul till next planting season. Cheryl

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Next person to mention that 5 lettered word will be banished for ever! My gardens are just looking good and I want another 3 weeks.....

10 years ago

We really should be saying f**** and s*** at this time of year - both dirty words even if they're white! LOL

I covered one zucchini plant and the cucumbers because they were still producing and i haven't had enough of them this year - believe it or else!

• nutsaboutflowers
    10 years ago

We had stinking F last night! Not impressed.

I covered my tomatoes and strawberries, plus took 3 pots into the garage. Other than that, this year I'm ready to let everything go.

Things this year seemed to be more work with the crappy weather that was too hot, too cold, too rainy ......... :(

• jel48
    10 years ago

We had it here too, in northern Michigan (Keweenaw peninsula) and I've heard northern Minnesota did as well. It didn't kill the tomato plants but definitely nipped them! Hanging planters still seem ok. I covered the tomatoes thee second night frost was predicted (didn't know it was coming the first night)!

• Pudge 2b
    10 years ago

Last night was our second frost this fall - this time it killed the pumpkin and squash in mom's garden, but not my cucumbers 100' east of her garden. Marigolds and petunias were also not touched. I picked off all my tomatoes earlier in the week, and got the rest of the (getting bitter) cucumbers today. Just corn left out there now, but with a low of 0 predicted tonight, I guess it's a good idea to pick all that off, too.

• mytime
    10 years ago

Got home 2 nights ago after being gone for 2 weeks...had been anxiously checking the weather every night, and was relieved that I was getting home before the frost killed the 3 unlabeled dahlias that bloomed in my absence. Getting home after midnight, I decided not to risk running into an irritable moose just to check on 3 dahlias by flashlight, and wouldn't you know...we had a really hard frost that obliterated blossoms. Dang!

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

I picked all my tomatoes, even the green ones, because frost was forecast for Thursday night. Came back home on Friday night and I think we dodged it; went down to 0C but it didn't look like there was any damage. Supposed to be well above freezing for the next week...

• luckygal
    10 years ago

No f**** here yet and none forecast for the next 2 weeks, if one can believe the long term forecast. My perennial garden is finally looking almost decent again after that long dry summer.

Another 3 weeks SCG? I hope fall lasts for the next 2 months, at least!

Only thing I have that needs lifting is one dahlia so I'm ignoring the possibility of f****.

10 years ago

OHHHHH, so close!!!! Was +0.3C in my yard and -2 with a pretty good frost a couple hundred meters up the road. Hopefully those wimpy zinnias made it as we are not supposed to be colder than 3 for a couple weeks. I am so not ready for winter!!!

• northspruce
    10 years ago

Still none here, although areas all around have had it. My hot peppers are still ripening on the plants, but I pulled up my tomato plants and brought them all in.

• Pudge 2b
    10 years ago

Well the killing frost came last night with a low of about -5. The green ash tree leaves are falling like rain this morning, typical after a hard frost. The marigolds and petunias, blooming until now, are definitely frozen. It's been a nice summer (well, July wasn't great) - here's hoping for a nice long autumn.

• kioni
    10 years ago

Yes, -6 in the southern part of Ab.

Forgot and left the cat's autumn stash of catnip on the deck and it froze solid. He'll be so mad!

Picked all the canteloupes and peppers yesterday. Summer's over....boo hoo.

I'm thinking of what I want to plant for next year!

10 years ago

Yeah boo Hoo. I got it last night. Now the work begins. In hein sight I think I should have covered since the next frost is weeks away. :(

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 years ago

Yes, very hard frost last night, though surprised that the rudbeckias have held up very well and been laughing off the cold, they must have gained a good degree of frost resistance after having been nipped by Jack a few weeks ago.

Terrance

10 years ago

Two frost nights in a row finished what looks like everybody but the rudbeckia. They appear to be, like yours, laughing at the rest.

• ostrich
    10 years ago

OMG I just came back from Europe last night.... and I saw the damage that was caused by that darn F!!! Sigh.... I guess it's the middle of Oct now so I should just accept that fact........ sigh!

10 years ago

My rudbeckia (prairie sun) are still snickering at all the wimpy plants that got ripped out last weekend. I am thinking I will have them blooming till snow fall!

10 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Our area celebrated with a hard frost last night (-3). Surprisingly, there are still a lot of things in containers that weren't touched, it seems. Oh well - not asking questions! LOL I was just thinking yesterday that it's not often i'm raking leaves and deadheading things at the same time!

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

We had many times frost but not a killer all.

This from Oct. 2

• Carlincooling
    10 years ago

Wow.... Never been on this forum before. I can't believe you guys are having frost. I've never even drove in it. Here in south Florida it is still 90 and lows in 70s. I could never deal with that. Lol. Best of luck for a warm winter. :)
    Kevin

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 years ago

"I can't believe you guys are having frost" ... Kevin, I had seen on the news that some American states had recently experienced a significant snowstorm. Yes, in autumn, vast regions of the Northern hemisphere do begin to receive frost and snow as the season advances towards winter ... surprise?

This post was edited by twrosz on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 10:14

10 years ago

LOL Might be time to revive the lurkers thread! Well, no - just checked and I don't think it's on the board anymore. Too funny!

Kevin, not sure what would qualify as a warm winter around here. I guess if it doesn't get down into the minus 30s too often.....

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

Still -5C at 9 AM...the deck is covered with some tiny pebbly white stuff, can't technically call it snow, right?

10 years ago

I, for one, am looking forward to snow. Living in this teepee is getting old. I look forward to a nice, bright igloo. Anybody else looking forward to winters spent in igloo's or do you prefer your cave or teepee?

SCG

10 years ago

Cave, definitely. And a big fire.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 years ago

Many hard frosts have been received here, though I don't think I've before have had things still in bloom at this time, mainly some rudbeckia, phlox, clematis and agastache. The forecast for this coming week is still holding out and let's hope November is mild and we'll have an abbreviated winter.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm