Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

fall chores

marricgardens
12 years ago

My containers filled in really nicely this year. Most of them are just scarlett geraniums, but I do have some nice coral ones and also Maverick Star. I haven't decided yet whether I'll take cuttings or just go all out and try to overwinter the planters in my sunroom. There are also some nice Pink Cadillac Impatiens to overwinter inside. Last year I took cuttings but this year I think I will just take in the pots, last year I had them planted in the ground. Other than that I have to put cages around all the shrubs and trees to protect them from voles, hopefully. I've collected a lot of seeds and will soon put my trade list up. I've spent the past week washing my pots and trays and putting them away for the winter. Should have just set them outside because we've been having downpours for the past 2 days! What are you busy with this fall? Marg

Comments (8)

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

Nothing yet. We're not having fall until the end of September because I said so.

Besides, I never did finish my spring cleanup. It was too wet.

You have a sunroom? How nice. Something I've always coveted.

When fall does get here I'll have a ton of bulbs to plant from Botanus again. Also, three shrubs. I'll likely end up digging holes soon for things I have no definite plan for, and I'm still hoping to find the energy to dig up part of the lawn in preparation for next year's garden. Even though I broke the handle of my favourite shovel digging up the rhubarb, I still have a stash of shovels in the garage =:)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Just finished potting up about 200 daylilies and about 100 or so irises so they will be going into the ground at the end of Sept. Also am almost finished planting the one front garden with my new babies. I have 3 shrubs to put into larger pots for the winter when I will figure out where they are going to go. Still have tomaotes on the vine since we are heading for a few warm days and lots of carrots to dig. About 12 hostas to put in, 8 sedum varieties and bulbs still coming from Botanus, McFaydens and Veseys. The garage will have to wait till all this yard stuff is done! Whew! I'm tired out just typing that list out!

NAF ~ I never did finish my spring clean up either! Puppies this spring and lots of rain made for a busy few months. :)

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Honalee: Do you overwinter the daylilies in pots? I tried it last year and it worked out great. I've just finished moving my irises to their new bed and am hoping to get my daylilies moved to their new beds. When you can, could you post pictures of your puppies? Thanks. Marg

12 years ago

I was just finishing up my lunch and heading back out to the garden. I have another 80 or so daylilies to pot up, about 2 dozen for my daughter and friends.

I have only successfully overwintered the really tough daylilies in pots and they were tucked in up against the deck. My husband is digging my big front bed as I type and I'm hoping he will be done by month end. I like to give the smaller daylily fans a chance to develop root in pots before I overwinter them in the ground.

I'll post pics of the beds asap. In the meantime, here is a couple of pics of the puppies.

This is mom Chloe (Gairden's Miss Congeniality) and pups at about 3 weeks

Gairden's Johnny Cash at about 11 weeks

Puppies at about 3 days old. Gairden's Calendar Girl aka Koka, Gairden's Johnny Cash aka Casey, and Gairden's Good Golly Miss Molly aka Molly

Most recent picture Ann and Bob at Trails End sent me of Cash (now Casey) enjoying HIS toys as Lucy watches on not amuzed! Lol

Best litter I have bred! Next litter will be this winter. Repeat breeding or another blue male.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love looking at pictures of puppies, they are all so adorable! Cash looks like he adjusted very well to his new home but Lucy looks not so happy to be sharing! I would never have thought to pot up my new daylilies when I got them, I just planted them right in the garden. They are always slow to really take off. I'll have to try potting up my next order. Thanks for the pics and the tip! Marg

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

I too am not having fall for awhile because i'm not finished with summer yet. :) Dream on!

There are still a few things to plant. I know where some will go, but not the others - more planning required. I have some lilies coming from the Lily Nook and some bulbs from Botanus, but not too many this year.

We are planning to pick onions sometime this week, and the beans are finished. Everything else is fine where it is for now.

12 years ago

Marg ~ I pot them up in a mixture of top soil, peatmoss, perlite and alfalfa pellets until they are happy looking. Sometimes I put a little bone meal in or bagged manure. I usually pot everything that I get through the mail just so they get established better. The daylilies and such that I get locally usually go right in the ground as they are huge!

Just found more work to do. Must transplant a few of my daylilies and phlox from the back garden and also found a lilly growing by the water barrel I shall have to move. This yard is so big that I sometimes don't get out to the back forty for a while and find all kinds of things happening when I do. Like a heuchera that got hidden amongst the Creeping Charlie. Another transplant operation. :)

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The more you guys post, the more I remember I have to do! I have to pull the onions to. I still have peppers and tomatoes coming on. There are still a few plants I winter sowed that have to go in the garden. I just finished planting 9 red hibiscus. Should make a nice hedge. I dug up the fall crocus and divided them, now to replant them! I don't do to many bulbs because around here they are just food for the voles, exception being lilies. We all need some of those right? Marg