Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

fall color - pics!

marricgardens
14 years ago

Here are some pictures of my fall color. It wasn't planned out that way but this is the way it turned out!

{{gwi:773578}}

{{gwi:539922}}

{{gwi:773579}}

{{gwi:773581}}

{{gwi:773583}}

Comments (9)

• beegood_gw
    14 years ago

Very pretty Thanx for sharing.

• hykue Zone 7 Vanc. Island
    14 years ago

That's nice, thanks!

• boday
    14 years ago

Marric

I'm reminded of the saying "Man proposes, God disposes". You done good.

I'm interested in what looks like Cherokee Sunset. How long have you had it? Did it come through the winter? For me, most Hirtas I have to treat as annuals. Always hoping for miracles.

I need some color for my varieties of Joe Pye weed and am looking at some Rudbekia, so your combo using Perovskia is a help.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Boday - The seeds for the Cherokee Sunset were sent to me in a trade. I looked at C.S. in the Vesey catalogue and don't beleive them to be the same thing. I belieive this one may be Cappucino instead. Whatever one it is I like it. I also have Prairie Sun and Goldsturm. Both of these reseed. Last year, P.S. went crazy reseeding. I was digging them up and replanting them in other spots - so far it's my favorite. Now to find Cherry Brandy. I've seen it and it's gorgeous. Rudbeckias are my favorite for fall color. The one that I have as C.S. was winter sown and this is the first year for it. I do hope it reseeds. It is still flowering strongly and we have had frost the past 2 nights. Just to let you know about Russian Sage, it will behave the first few years and then send suckers up everywhere. I even have them growing in my lawn! Marg

• stanly
    14 years ago

Marric, beautiful pictures, thank you. I agree with you about the Russian Sage. I had a flower bed about 30' long and decided to plant about 6 sage, you know, one every 5' or so. I wasn't long before I had nothing but Russian Sage growing there and I had to dig up the whole flower bed. Live and learn I guess. That same year I planted some loosestrife, pretty little thing with purple leaves and yellow flowers. In three years, it choked out the lilies and everything else in the flower bed. I couldn't believe how thick the roots were. Another bed that had to be dug up and transplanted. Stan

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stan - thanks. I'm glad you liked the pictures. I've always steered clear of loosestrife. A friend has the yellow one and she always said it wasn't invasive but I never really believed her. When I first saw the Russian Sage, I liked it so much I wanted to get several and make a hedge around my garden - thought the smell might keep the rabbits away. Glad I didn't. Marg

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    14 years ago

I have a beautiful pink loosestrife that doesn't reseed. I believe it came from Dominion Seed House years ago, and the catalogue said it was sterile. Seems to be. :)

• boday
    14 years ago

marric

I have the Praire Sun and Indian Summer. Like them both very much. Normally collect seed and start off in March. Might try winter sowing this year to see what happens.

What happened to me is that I set up a flower bed with Baptisia, Filipendula Venusta and Joe Pye Weed as backdrop. Each blooms at different times so I thought this would be great. Unfortunately there is a Shubert Chokecherry behind that and the Joe Pye disappears. Now I need some bright colors to bring the flower bed to life.

I do have one thing new. There is a new Gaillardia called Gallo Red - Solid Red/Burgundy that is unreal. It's the height of Goblin, bushy in the first year and blooms like crazy. I had to cut it back recently to prevent it from blooming to death. If it survives the winter here it's a winner. The other three that are impressive are the Echinaceas Pink Double Delight, Meringue and Milkshake. They look like painted pictures, not real. The choices out there are mindboggling.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Boday - just to let you know, I have wintersown Prairie Sun for the past few years. It has always done well. Indian Summer is one I don't have but if it reseeds it should be o.k. to wintersow. Marg

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County