Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ziggro

Brrrr!

ziggro
12 years ago

28F this morning. Got the water through the hose...hopefully, I saved most of the garden crops.

Comments (10)

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, it is that time of year when we have to start watching the lows. Tomorrow night it's supposed to get down to between +2C to +4C so I will cover the tenders just to be safe.

Glad you saved the garden crops, often after a cold snap the weather will get nice and warm again and the garden can still mature/produce a bit more.

• don555
    12 years ago

I hate it when it gets to that time of year when it's cover in the evening in case, uncover in the morning, repeat over and over. I think I'd rather just have a good -5C or -7C killing frost and be done with it.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Ziggro, when does your usual first frost arrive? In the Edmonton region (outside the city) it's already in just a few weeks time, much too early for my liking, though of course that varies and it's always great when we can go well into October before a killing frost arrives, then a lot of things are looking pretty tired anyways ...

Today it's darn chilly, though appears we're soon in for a much needed heatwave ... it's about time!

• Slimy_Okra
    12 years ago

I've been reading various long range model forecasts, and they suggest that September overall is going to be much warmer and drier than normal in the Prairies. October is going to be pretty normal, and November-December are going to be mighty cold. That's good for gardening, not so good for humans...

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Yesterday morning the Edmonton International Airport had minus 1C, I'm only a few miles east...haven't checked my garden yet.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I don't think we've been below +10 yet this summer. It's been a hot one! There were a few weeks it was in the high 20s at nights, which is something we don't usually see a for long periods of time on the prairies. It's cooler than that at night now though, just not anywhere near the F word.

• ziggro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

26F this morning!

We get light frosts throughout the summer, but heavier frosts such as today's are awfully tough on certain crops (green beans, squash). Got water through the hose again, though, so maybe we can save most of the rest of the veggies in the garden.

Forecast is for warmer weather for the next few days.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Oh darn...how did you make out?
    Mine survived, shrubs and trees around the garden starting to pay off, now we're in a heat wave,..hopefully for another month!

• Collin001
    12 years ago

Wasn't sure how low it was going to go last night. It stopped at 3C. Still covered up some of the garden.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

Brrrr coming here tonight with +2 forecast.Will cover the tomatoes and the pumpkin and some containers - i brought a few into the shed already and have grouped others so that they'll be easier to cover. And i figured the houseplants had better come inside. Trouble is, the weather will be a lot better for awhile now, and they could have stayed outside longer. Maybe i'll toss them out again later in the week. :>

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County