Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lots of berries this year

Posted by beegood Zone 3 Alberta (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 25, 11 at 11:28

Have 5 of them in my yard. One planted by me and the others self seeded. Nice red color as most leaves are yellow around here.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lots of berries this year

Is it a highbush cranberry? Beautiful fall colour! Wow! That is one the few good wild berry crops I've seen around here - the saskatoons and blueberries failed completely this year.

o

Five of those in one yard. How beautiful =:)

I'm still waiting for my Amur Maples to turn red. They're starting to think about turning color but everything else is still green in my yard.

o

There's not much turning red in my yard - things are mostly just starting - but this little maple down by the creek looks so nice now, esp. with the sun shining through. :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

It's been a great berry harvest

Photobucket

...but I think I'll go walk the dog!

Photobucket

o

• Posted by beegood Zone 3 Alberta (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 26, 11 at 12:28

I just finished walking the dog so now I wud love a piece of your pie. Looks way too yummy . I'll supply the coffee. Maybe even Starbucks Pumpkin spice. How does that sound. Are those the real cranberries?

o

LOOKING GOOD!
I have several of these high bush cranberries too, sadly, too awful taste they have...like a moldy sock, LOL.
Birds are reluctant to eat these...only as a last resort I think, have never seen them take these.

Honey berries got large this year with the good moisture we had.
June 26, 2011

Pin Cherries was good too, but only on the south side of the bush, sheltered from hail.

Aug. 14, 2011

Black Currant
Sept. 8, 2011

o

• Posted by beegood Zone 3 Alberta (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 26, 11 at 20:45

I used to make syrup and jelly out of them and quite liked it. I don't know if I can compare them to moldy socks but will take your word for it. In the winter when they are frozen they actually are a nice treat when X/C skiing.

o

I've never been much for highbush cranberries either, but I understand that they become sweeter and much more appealing after a couple of hard frosts.

Konrad's fruit crops never cease to amaze...

o

Beegood - these are indeed the "real" cranberry...totally different from the high bush forms...from nature's garden... and you have to get down on your knees to pick them. Years ago, the northern Alberta pioneers called the pie "Mock Cherry Pie" and it has become our family's favorite surpassing wild blueberry. It is the epitomy of "slow food" but the memory of the exquisite flavor...yes, even better with coffee...serves to stimulate one to collect them each fall.

Konrad - your photos are fabulous - and I chuckled when you described the smell of the high bush cranberry as "mouldy socks" - we always referred to the jelly as "dirty sock jam"! - but I still like it in small amounts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here