Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliciahere_zone3a

Front garden advice

aliciahere_zone3a
10 years ago

Hello Everybody. I haven't posted anything for a while, though I have been following along. I am looking for some advice for my front flower bed. Please ignore the state it is in right now - the summer got away from me and it's a bit of a mess right now!

The front of the house is south facing and gets great sun in the morning and afternoon, though it does get shade in the late afternoon and evening. I would really like to keep a colour scheme of red/burgundy/raspberry/wine and yellow/coral/orange/rust.

Most in particular I am wondering what to do against the brickwork. I would like to put climbing plants though I am unsure what to put there. I was thinking of putting a clematis and a climbing rose, though I'm not sure how they would do. Red rose/yellow clematis? Yellow rose/raspberry clematis? Those black trellis are metal and removable, so I could lay the whole thing on the ground and then cover with mulch and lots of snow to protect them.

I've never had roses before so I would need something that's a bit foolproof.... The clematis is also a backup incase the roses don't make it, lol.

In the main part of the flower bed, I'm thinking of having some day lily's, oriental lily's, foxtail lily's, snapdragons, maybe some dahlias, allium, with tulips in the spring.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Alicia

Comments (7)

• aliciahere_zone3a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, so I have done some research, and I think that these are my options for the trellis:

Red Rose:

Ramblin' Red
    Quadra
    Hope for Humanity - I know that this is a shrub, but could it be trained?

With a Yellow Clematis:

My Angel - this looks amazing, even if I don't do it here, I may have to find a spot for this...
    Bill MacKenzie
    Burford Variety - might be tough to find

Or a Yellow Rose:

Alchymist - more of a peach I know but pretty!
    Frulingsgold - perhaps the most hardy rose of the bunch?
    Golden Showers

With a red clematis:

Avant Garde
    Madame Julia Correvon
    Amanda Marie - also may be tough to get.

Let me know what you think of these. Also, I would certainly consider doing just clematis. How may per trellis could I do, two? Three?

I was also thinking about cleaning them up in the fall. If the roses don't need pruning, but the clematis does.... may get a bit messy.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 years ago

'Ramblin' Red' is a beauty, though will dieback in zone 3 unless laid down to the ground and protected, but is crown hardy and will still make for a substantial sized bush with clusters of large beautiful blooms!

When selecting clematis, I'd certainly go with 'Madame Julia Correvon', it's hard to beat this variety!

Terrance

• kioni
    10 years ago

I picked up the clematis "my angel" this past spring from local 'bigboxstore'. It did not bloom true, I think what I got is Bill McKenzie. If it makes it through our winters (rated as a zone 4) I will be very happy. Blooms are small, I'd say an inch and a half in height and width when open.

Did some reading on the clematis forum, warmer zones find it grows too aggressively, and the vines are somewhat sloppy in appearance when expecting the more graceful growth of the large blooming clematis varieties.

For our winters, I need aggressive (well, we'll see!)

• User
    10 years ago

no advice here as my green thumb has recently turned brown. I was thinking of your color scheme have a look at the it's only just begun thread.

• ostrich
    10 years ago

Alicia, I hope you don't mind me asking - all of the things that you have listed will not provide much winter interest at all. I am wondering if you would consider planting some small evergreen shrubs there, then mix them up with some of the lovely perennials that you listed above, so that you will have some 4 season interest there?

In my humble opinion, we live in wintry season for almost half a year, so it's pretty important to do something that will look good during these cold months.

Just my 2 cents....

• homegroan
    10 years ago

I agree with ostrich. Some evergreens would be a nice addition. Maybe even some type of statue or sculpture, nothing tacky, just something interesting to give some shape in the winter- provided the snow isn't covering it. :)

• aliciahere_zone3a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanx so much everybody. CLBlakey, I did see that though I was paying attention just to the daylily - didn't see the colors in the back :) looks good. ostrich and homegroan, I agree evergreens would be nice, though my husband loaths them..... maybe I will need to sneak some in. kioni, that's too bad about My Angel - it looks so nice, and yes for our climate - it should perform nicely! If we can get it. Terrance, thanx for the great info - rambling red and Madame Julia Correvon are favs of mine, though I don't know if I would plant them together

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone