Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciaz3

Box of seeds question

Last year, people were lukewarm to the project. No problem - i am too now. I don't do a lot of winter sowing anymore, mostly just spring sowing for annuals. But still at this time of year, i'm in seed-collecting mode and can't help myself! Most of the seeds i get are for the Box of Seeds. So the question is, is anyone still interested in this? Should i be bothering getting a bunch of seeds that might not be used? Let me know. The hollyhocks have seeds this year (why not last year, i'd like to know) and my fingers are itching!

Comments (8)

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Count me lukewarm. The costs of mailing it have increased, and I wasn't amused by the long list of rules that appeared in it. I started the box of seeds many years ago when Sharon mailed me a box of seeds and I didn't need them all. It didn't have membership fees and a board of directors. (I'm exaggerating)

I have collected specific seeds this year for friends here on the forum who wanted them, and it'll be cheaper for me to send them individually than mail a whole box around.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Well I currently possess the box of seeds and after fall seed collecting was going to see who wanted to get it going again.

Yeahp, the cost is now around $13 to ship.

One nice thing is that since all the seeds come true you only really need a few then you can gather for yourself. As well the box is probably more appreciated by the new(er) gardener that doesn't have a million seeds already, I really enjoyed trying a few new things.

Most of the paper work is now missing and I think the only rules are to not write on the packaging to Name the seed (wears off) and to date the year of collection.

If my work slows down in Oct I was going to redo the missing seed list.

I would also be willing to hang on to the box and if anyone would like to add to it but don't necessarily want to have it sent to them they could send seeds to me. Then in Nov or so I will can send to the next person.

FWIW, since my seed 'collection' is small I took a couple of seeds out of close to 50 packages which would have cost me thrice that in the stores. So, for me, it was/is worth the postage.

Let me know what ya'll want.

SCG

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This was definitely a fun project when i used to do more winter sowing and if i checked my records, i'm sure i would find that many of my perennials came from the Box of Seeds. So i understand how newer gardeners would enjoy it more.

I tried a couple of times to put the seeds in padded envelopes so that they could pass through the post office as an envelope not a package, but it didn't work. Too many seeds!

If you'd like to be the caretaker of the box, that's great, SCG. Maybe some of our newer members might like to take advantage of it. If i do end up with some extra seeds, i'll send them along. I've collected some hollyhock seeds and some from my blue delphiniums so they could be added to the box at some point.

9 years ago

I would be happy to be the caretaker.

To save shipping I would be happy to update the list and ship on demand SASBE.

this would save shipping costs. It would be really fun fir me.

Let me know what you all think

SCG

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I guess if you posted a list of what was in there, people could ask for certain seeds, and the SASBEs would be cheaper than the whole box (envelope, actually). I would say post the list after the New Year when people are starting to think of seed starting.

Thanks, SCG!

• cdnfruit
    9 years ago

I would be interested in the list of what was in the box. Last year I tried a few new things and gave a bunch of packages that I didn't need. THis year will hopefully be better than last year's wet, cold spring and most of summer. I have a hoophouse to start plants in now.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe SCG will see this post and get a list to you. I was just coming here to post a pic for him, so hopefully he will see both posts!

9 years ago

I actually forgot that I offered to update the list so am working on it right now. If you would like a copy of it when it is complete please email me at filimek at me dot com.

SCG

Edit - List now complete

This post was edited by SouthCountryGuy on Wed, Jan 7, 15 at 11:59