Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattpf

Italian prune plum Southern Alberta grown

mattpf (zone4)
10 years ago

Here's a picture of my only fruit left hanging (between my German shepherds the flooding and hail 6 times ) its a miracle this little guy nestled away inside the tree is untouched.

I'm very excited about these Italian plums I got last year. They are the super stars of my backyard orchard. I have the brooks variety and they seemed just as hardy as those in my zone 4 area. One of them I painted white last winter the second I covered in burlap. They both came back strong . Don't know how they would do further north but south of Calgary my Italian plums and apricots seem to be doing well and liking my climate. The apricots suffered sun damage last winter but came back tenfold the Italians just came back ten fold and more no damage whatsoever.

Comments (19)

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

That's great!
    Are you sure it's Italian, ..looks a bit like a Mt. Royal, that would explain the hardiness, it's the hardiest Euro prune plum, semi freestone, take a good look at the pit, post a picture when cut in half.

• mattpf (zone4)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mt royal is some form of the European prune.

These I got are "early Italian " prunus domestica rated zone 5.
    "Mt royal" prunus domestics rated zone 3 ??

I've always wondered how they got such a different rating. There is no way they messed these up that bad. Mt royal is a fairly rare variety compared to early Italian also. I doubt Home Depot would even ever get mt royal.

• mattpf (zone4)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well around here more people for sure have the Mount Royal.
    I've never heard of many others on this forum around these parts having Italian.
    That fruit is long shape my camera angle kills it.
    I will post picture of the inside of the fruit once I pick it.
    They are a very late plum .i know an older guy who has four of them about two and half hours south of me and we never picked them till around late September. In fernie area to be precise. He also grew sweet cherries these were all big trees until he sold the place.

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

OK..this camera angle can be misleading.
    Fernie is zone 5a,..this will be a challenge for you, some years they will freeze back...same as my Greengage.

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Matt,
    see how the Italian Prune, [long] looks like.
    Click on it to zoom in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian Prune Plum

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

This is a German prune called Auenbacher, close to Italian, a little smaller, freestone, still on the tree, my best prune plum.

• mattpf (zone4)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I tasted Italian plum today. Here's a few good pics Konrad. It's not at all round free stone and a prune exactly like Italian variety I get from bc.

• mattpf (zone4)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Great..lets hope she puts on a good crop next year.

My Auerbacher,..[spelled wrong above] picked yesterday, it was a nice treat.

• mattpf (zone4)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those look like some form of the prunus dometica almost same as the Italians. Italian will survive for you and me if your able to grow those very similar plums. I'm going to sprout the seeds also hopefully create a hardier version. I self pollinated mine with a brush and its own pollen.

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

No need to pollinate, these are self fruitful,..big advantage growing European plums.

• bdgardener
    10 years ago

Oh, to dream!!!! some day, some day, yummy, Cheryl

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

This is where it starts...dreams do come true.

• april9
    10 years ago

Got mine from Costco two years ago. what the label said is Mt Royal. The best tasting plums from my garden.

• Collin001
    10 years ago

Those are some impressive results Matt. My own trees only put out between 1-2 plums each for their 3rd summer. I have a feeling it will take a few more years before they bear in any quantity.

• manitoba_mum
    10 years ago

Beautiful plums. Do you have honey bees doing the pollination?

I am so grateful for the hard work the bees do in spring time to get things off to a good start. We live a fair way off the beaten path, but they find our plum and apples blossoms every time. It's always amazing.

Does anyone have problems with sapsuckers?

We have a great deal of trouble with these birds. They drill small, shallow holes, in neat little rows, around the branches and trunk of our fruit trees. I noticed the plums have sharp pointed spurs which seem to provide a small degree of natural protection.

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

These Euro plums don't need pollination,..self fruitful.

Yes, Sapsuckers are here,..kind of lucky that they're mostly in
    native trees like...birch, willows, chokecherries, evergreens and
    Saskatoon. Have a lock next time when a major limb on the Saskatoon or willow dies back..most likely damaged by yellow bellied sapsucker.

• mattpf (zone4)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does anybody else have these late italian plum trees? Mine are just starting to open now.mt royal was done flowering this week.

Looks as if I juiced my trees a bit to much they grew like crazy last year but I did not harden them off and seeing the results. At least they are now fairly fat trunks I've pruned them right down I suspect next year will be good if I do it right this summer.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths