Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Italian prune plum Southern Alberta grown

Posted by mattpf none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 13:18

Here's a picture of my only fruit left hanging (between my German shepherds the flooding and hail 6 times ) its a miracle this little guy nestled away inside the tree is untouched.

I'm very excited about these Italian plums I got last year. They are the super stars of my backyard orchard. I have the brooks variety and they seemed just as hardy as those in my zone 4 area. One of them I painted white last winter the second I covered in burlap. They both came back strong . Don't know how they would do further north but south of Calgary my Italian plums and apricots seem to be doing well and liking my climate. The apricots suffered sun damage last winter but came back tenfold the Italians just came back ten fold and more no damage whatsoever.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Italian prune plum Southern Alberta grown

That's great!
Are you sure it's Italian, ..looks a bit like a Mt. Royal, that would explain the hardiness, it's the hardiest Euro prune plum, semi freestone, take a good look at the pit, post a picture when cut in half.

o

Mt royal is some form of the European prune.

These I got are "early Italian " prunus domestica rated zone 5.
"Mt royal" prunus domestics rated zone 3 ??

I've always wondered how they got such a different rating. There is no way they messed these up that bad. Mt royal is a fairly rare variety compared to early Italian also. I doubt Home Depot would even ever get mt royal.

o

I find more people have the Mt. Royal,...seen HUGE tree in Edmonton, Italian is more of a long plum,..the one in picture is more round, if it's totally freestone then perhaps it's Italian. At the fruit show I've never seen Italian.

o

Well around here more people for sure have the Mount Royal.
I've never heard of many others on this forum around these parts having Italian.
That fruit is long shape my camera angle kills it.
I will post picture of the inside of the fruit once I pick it.
They are a very late plum .i know an older guy who has four of them about two and half hours south of me and we never picked them till around late September. In fernie area to be precise. He also grew sweet cherries these were all big trees until he sold the place.

o

OK..this camera angle can be misleading.
Fernie is zone 5a,..this will be a challenge for you, some years they will freeze back...same as my Greengage.

o

Matt,
see how the Italian Prune, [long] looks like.
Click on it to zoom in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian Prune Plum

o

This is a German prune called Auenbacher, close to Italian, a little smaller, freestone, still on the tree, my best prune plum.

o

Well I tasted Italian plum today. Here's a few good pics Konrad. It's not at all round free stone and a prune exactly like Italian variety I get from bc.

o

Here's another

o

Great..lets hope she puts on a good crop next year.

My Auerbacher,..[spelled wrong above] picked yesterday, it was a nice treat.

o

Those look like some form of the prunus dometica almost same as the Italians. Italian will survive for you and me if your able to grow those very similar plums. I'm going to sprout the seeds also hopefully create a hardier version. I self pollinated mine with a brush and its own pollen.

o

No need to pollinate, these are self fruitful,..big advantage growing European plums.

o

Oh, to dream!!!! some day, some day, yummy, Cheryl

o

This is where it starts...dreams do come true.

o

Got mine from Costco two years ago. what the label said is Mt Royal. The best tasting plums from my garden.

o

Those are some impressive results Matt. My own trees only put out between 1-2 plums each for their 3rd summer. I have a feeling it will take a few more years before they bear in any quantity.

o

Beautiful plums. Do you have honey bees doing the pollination?

I am so grateful for the hard work the bees do in spring time to get things off to a good start. We live a fair way off the beaten path, but they find our plum and apples blossoms every time. It's always amazing.

Does anyone have problems with sapsuckers?

We have a great deal of trouble with these birds. They drill small, shallow holes, in neat little rows, around the branches and trunk of our fruit trees. I noticed the plums have sharp pointed spurs which seem to provide a small degree of natural protection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here