Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
north53zone2b

Tomatoes & late blight

north53 Z2b MB
13 years ago

Any one else lose their entire tomato crop to this insidious disease? A couple of weeks ago I hadn't even heard of such a thing. I've been growing tomatoes in my little plot forever, and this year I had a really nice crop forming... beautiful blemish free tomatoes. Then disaster. I picked everything when I saw the problem, but it looks like I'll lose them all anyway. I'm so disappointed.

I don't have a question, just wanted to share my pain.

Comments (11)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    13 years ago

Yes, here also, lost the entire dang crop! ... well, other than the few fruit that had stayed disease free after being picked ... it really is a devastating disease! The problem had started in the potatoe patch, at first I had thought nothing of it until it spread to the tomatoes. I Googled late blight and sprayed the plants with the suggested copper fungicide ... though, this had done nothing at all and an agrologist told me that a much stronger and expensive chemical would be needed at first sight of the disease. He also said that many potato crops in the Edmonton area had been affected. ItÂs seasonal dependant and this yearÂs moisture and humidity had really contributed to the problem ... letÂs HOPE next year is blight free!

Oh, and I donÂt know if anyone other than me actually likes mincemeat ... though, the green tomatoes make AMAZING mincemeat !!!

Terry

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

Uh oh. Late blight. How disappointing. All the work and anticipation and now blight.

I forunately don't have it, at least not yet, but did once before years ago.

I believe you'll want to rotate your crops as I'm pretty sure it stays in the soil for years. Research it though, as I may be wrong.

• Pudge 2b
    13 years ago

here too, entire area :(

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So, it seems pretty widespread, Mb,Ab & Sask. Where are you located NAF?
    Pudge, I've been wondering how you've been faring with this summer's storms. It seems everyday on the weather news, some area of Sask was getting deluged.
    I don't know how I didn't hear about this blight. Usually I'm struggling to keep my garden watered, not worrying about it being too wet.
    Alas, Terry, I don't like mincemeat. I was looking forward to making freezer tomato sauce and salsa. I can forget about that now.
    On the plus side, my carrots and garlic & zucchini all did great.

• northspruce
    13 years ago

I had never heard of it but now that you mention it I might have had late blight too this year. I only grew 4 cherry tomato plants and no potatoes, but just as the fruit was ripened, the plants collapsed. I picked all the fruit and didn't think much more about it. This was my first year growing determinate cherry tomatoes. Wow it was like heaven having controllable sized plants with a great fruit set that all ripened at the same time - and earlier than the blight hit apparently.

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

Norh53 I'm in Saskatchewan.

I went out this morning to check the tomatoes. I only have two plants this year.

I'm starting to get something, but it's difficult to tell at this stage whether it's gray mold or late blight. The stems have a few darkened spots and most leaves are perfectly fine. I brought in 3 partially ripe tomatoes to monitor as they ripen. I guess if I have late blight I'll know soon enough.

We've had such a terrible season this year that my patience is waning, so I'm tempted to just pull them up and get rid of them. However, then I won't recognize symptoms next year if I don't watch these for a while. Right?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    13 years ago

nutsaboutflowers ... late blight usually starts with a few darkened areas of foliage, these patches have a somewhat whitish underside. Blackened stems are another sure sign of the disease ... the disease moves quickly. Our tomato harvest was reduced to a very small fraction of its usual total :(

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Terry, did you find any particular variety had better resistance? I only have a nice bowlful of Viva Italia that managed to ripen without rotting, though many of that variety did succumb.

• xaroline
    13 years ago

An article in this morning's Calgary Herald says it has hit gardeners in the Edmonton area, but so far:--- we in Calgary seem to be missing it.

I am out to pick all the green tomatoes as frost is predicted for later this week.
    Caroline

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    13 years ago

north53, I had grown about six varieties and all had been hard hit by late blight.

Caroline, it certainly was not an overly good tomato growing season ... though, I still had a rather decent crop. Hopefully, next year will not bring a return of late blight here in the Edmonton area, or anywhere else!

Terry

• ljpother
    13 years ago

I didn't have a problem with leaves; rather, I was getting damaged fruit. When I took a closer look at the plants, the leaves were darkening and there were some black stems. Only my Brandywines were (now pulled) affected. I have a box of green tomatoes that I'm going to wash and set out for ripening. I picked anything that was two toned; light green is as good as a blush, isn't it. I think frost will get my plants before the late blight spreads.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery