Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mytime_gw

greenhouse 'extras'

mytime
17 years ago

Hubby just built me a greenhouse...the first one I've had in 27 years. I'm really excited (way more than I thought I would be) about getting an early start on things next spring. My question is, what is the best "accessory" you have in your greenhouse? Anything outside the norm that you are pleased to have thought of... That makes your greenhouse "better" than most? What I really wish I could have attached to it is an outhouse! :-)

The greenhouse is built, so I'm not talking placement, size, shape, or materials. Just "accessorizing" it.

All suggestions welcomed! Thanks

Comments (9)

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Well I have shelves that fold down, so once its warm enough to get the flats all planted out.....I fold down the shelves and have lots of room for the stuff I want to grow in the gh all summer. I was skeptical at first.....but it worked really well.

Sierra

• garden_chicken
    17 years ago

Congrats on the greenhouse (and the wonderful hubby!).

I wouldn't be without my automatic window opener. It's been a lifesaver on the really hot days when I'm not around to open the vents.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Indoor/outdoor thermometer and mouse traps ;)

What are you using for heating device incase it deeps down to freezing?. I've only had to use my electric heater a few times, but itÂs always there just in case.

Sharon

• mytime
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I thought fold down shelves would be great, Sierra, but I opted for stationary shelves that I can easily turn into fold-down shelves if necessary. I used Closetmaid shelving, so if I'm not happy with it, I'll put them in a closet! Did you make yours yourself? Or buy and install them?
    I splurged on a thermostat controlled fan and vent ... I figured everything would die on the first sunny day, otherwise. Now I just have to hope that the calculation for fan and vent size was correct.
    My indoor/outdoor thermometer is on order, Sharon. I wanted a wireless base unit in the house, and two units down at the greenhouse (one outside, one inside)...locally I could only get the base unit with one more station.
    I'm afraid I will need those mouse traps...I put gravel all around the inside of the greenhouse, hoping they won't tunnel through gravel, but just in case....
    I don't know what I'm going to do for heat, yet. One reason I've already ordered the thermometer is so that I can monitor the difference between inside/outside temps overnight, and start thinking about heat. I also have to decide what I'm going to be starting, and how far ahead of planting out time I'll be using the greenhouse. I'm going to go talk to my neighbor who has a greenhouse, and see what she is using.
    Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I'm anxiously awaiting more!

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

mytime, Wintersowing is great in a greenhouse. The only thing is that it can get pretty warm in the greenhouse come spring, so you'll have to watch your containers carefully everyday and water by hand if need be.

You're going to love it!

Sharon

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

mytime, My DH built the shelves....they have bolts that he loosens on the studs and they just fold flat. They also have extra support that come out from the floor at the wall to the front....the design he came up with is wonderful, nothing to stub toes on. LOL He also built in a work bench at just the perfect height for me to work at, so my back won't be stressed.

Sierra

• mytime
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, wouldn't you know...just did a search for "thermostat", and what comes up first in the results? My own post! Here I am 5 years later, and loving my greenhouse. EXCEPT for the thermostat that controls my fan and vent. I had to replace it in '09, and now it needs to be replaced again. Frustrating...not just the money involved in buying a new one, but the PITB of installing it, too. I posted this in the "Greenhouse" forum, but I actually think I need responses from cold climate users, as I can't think of anything else that would cause it to quit functioning. So, please help me with your recommendations of thermostats that have lasted more than 2-3 years for you!!

• ljpother
    13 years ago

mytime,

Batteries?

• mytime
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wish it was batteries! No, this is hardwired--that's the PITB of having to replace it...