Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alstroemeria 'Inca Ice'

Posted by twrosz Z3 Ab. (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 13:44

Received this plant in the mail this spring, it wasn't in great shape due to sitting over a long weekend at the post office and being all yellow and withered. Took most of the summer to kick into gear, though is now rewarding me with a few blooms, I think I rather like the plant. It's snuggled up against the south foundation and planted deeply and should winter with no problem (or at least I hope) and ought to begin flowering much earlier next summer. I'll be looking to add more varieties if this one performs well. I could certainly grow many in containers ... though, with all the work there is to do here, I'm needing to reduce the number of potted plants I tend.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alstroemeria 'Inca Ice'

I'm surprised you'll be leaving it outside. Could you bring in some of the bulbs as a guarantee?
I'll be bringing my alstromeria in for the winter. But I need to do a better job of tending to it in the spring. I'm sure it is root bound in its container. It didn't bloom as well this year.The water runs right out and does not soak in at all.
I'm wondering if I should re-pot it when I bring it in.

o

I'd take it in too - it's only supposed to be hardy to zone 8-10!

o

'Inca Ice' is rated to zone 5, I'm sure it'll be safe against the warm foundation of the house where frost will not penetrate to the roots. I've often grown and wintered tender bulbs and roots near the foundation.

north53, yes, sounds like your plant is in need of division and repotting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alstroemeria 'Inca Ice'

o

Should I repot and divide it when I bring it in? Frost is forecast in a couple of days, though we've already had a light one.

o

interesting
I had never came across Alstroemeria able to withstand such cold temperatures
Will read more
does it have any fragrance
the cut plants, or rather flowers we purchase for in the house do no have a fragrance.

o

north53, here's a LONG thread about growing Alstroemeria. I think I'd wait until spring to divide and replant them just as they break dormancy.

Terrance

Here is a link that might be useful: Alstroemeria

o

diane_v_44 ... there doesn't seem to be much fragrance whatsoever.

o

And it is even more beautiful than the picture!!! Only nature can paint something so exquisite! Thank you for the treat at the end of such a gorgeous afternoon, Terry. :)

Ginny

o

Thanks Terrance,
I will check out that thread. I remember some discussion about alstromeria a long time ago, but I didn't have one then so didn't pay any attention.

I hope you will keep us updated on 'Inca Ice' in the spring. I wish you success.

o

Ginny, thank you for coming over, we all had a good visit and your those dogs of yours are real beauties! I'm looking out the window and thinking of where to place the red maple and other plants kindly received from you :)

north53, whether good or bad, I'll keep this thread updated on the success of this plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here