Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Anyone Else Got Blooms Still?

nutsaboutflowers
14 years ago

My girlfriend in Alberta has pulled up all her annuals except her Lavaterra. I'm in Saskatchewan and I've only got a few things that have petered out.

My raised beds with Lavatera, marigolds, geraniums, gallardia, johnny jump-ups, dianthus, are still blooming like crazy =:)

One of my roses is also still trying, and my impatiens and sweet peas still look great.

Anyone else?

Comments (14)

• northspruce
    14 years ago

My double impatiens and begonias still look great. Last night's frost didn't freeze under the trees. I still have a couple of roses with buds, maybe they will get a chance to bloom yet. My roses did NOT like this cold summer one bit!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    14 years ago

It's -3 out there right now, so i think a lot of things will be toast. I was hoping to get some seeds, but it doesn't look promising. Yesterday, my rose Champlain was covered in blooms, though, and the rudbeckia was still going strong. I have a new-last-year clematis still in bloom, C. texenis 'Dutchess of Albany' - very pretty. :)

• celtic_07
    14 years ago

yesterday I had asters, rubeckia ,roses, helianthus, turlehead ,lychins, pansies, asilbes, phlox, and a few others. Todayyyy ??? I went to water before the sun hit the plants and my hose was frozen so who knows what will be around at the end of the day. Lost a lot of trees in a super windy storm that went thro here a couple of days ago. too busy with clean up to enjoy- tree fell on the wildlife fencing around the garden and #^**!.
    Lois

• squirelette
    14 years ago

My monkshood and toad lilies are just starting to open, wish they would start to bloom earlier. The anemone and the mums are going full bore. The rest has petered out

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    14 years ago

Had a moderate frost hit the backyard two nights ago, but the stuff in the front was untouched. The rudbeckias, snaps, cosmos, sunflowers, hollyhocks and Primrose Gem annual chrysanthemum are still holding their own. Although, the large flowered marigolds have froze, the flowers are still showing nice color. The last while has been miserably WINDY as heck and killing frost is in the forecast for tonight ... thus, I'll be gathering up whatever else needs to be brought in. Yep, it's over for yet another season!

Lois, sorry to hear about all the fallen trees and damage there.

Terry

14 years ago

Everything pretty much cooked here. I haven't had the heart to walk around and assess the total damage, though. :(

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    14 years ago

Marcia, yeah, it's kinda a downer time of year ... the purdy flowers are dead or dying, the days are growing ever so much shorter and we have a very long winter ahead :( :(

14 years ago

LOL You're about as cheerful as i am, Terry!

• celtic_07
    14 years ago

I'm with you Marcia and Terry cheerful-not It saddens me to see all the tubs/container looking like overcooked broccoli and turning to muck- I hate the thought of cleaning them all up especially when they're calling for rain for the next 7 days!
    We still have about 5-6 more mature trees to cleanup-they were about 20-30 ft tall and still full of leaves

Lois

14 years ago

Check the forecast again, Lois - ours has changed and it's supposed to be nice, i.e. no rain, for most of the week. I'm hoping that i can get out and get my bulbs planted. It's supposed to rain all day today and tomorrow, of course!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    14 years ago

Oh, it's COLD today! I hope the forecast changes here, as it's looking pretty chilly in the long range. I pulled most of the stuff yesterday, what's still showing color is looking pretty drab and sad ... besides, looks like no Indian summer to cometh!

Snow has fallen in Jasper and other places and is headed towards Calgary ... :(

• trisha_51
    14 years ago

We've had 3 or 4 freezes, but i have a freesia that is still blooming. A neighbor still has some glads that are in bloom. I put the garden to 'bed' today. Looking forward to next spring!

• shazam_z3
    14 years ago

John Davis still going. Annuals finally got hit last night from the crystallized dihydrogen monoxide.

I have eight trees to plant, so wish me luck :)

• glen3a
    14 years ago

Only one -1 C. night. Some minor damage but the impatiens, marigold, begonias, etc. and still blooming quite nicely. Of course, they aren't doing too much now as it's cloudy, cool and drizzly. Back to below normal temperatures after a nice september. Outside the city, however, I hear it was a killer frost.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?