Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

The aftermath...

ostrich
9 years ago

Well, it's sunny and warm outside in Calgary now, but a few days ago, we had a huge snowstorm that pretty much destroyed many trees and gardens here, because the trees and plants all had leaves on and the snow was wet and heavy! I went outside to inspect the damages today:

1. My young trees survived the snow attack because I was out there shaking the snow off of them day and night!!!

2. My perennials are pretty much done. They are flattened to the ground! But they will bounce back next year so I am not concerned.

3. The shrubs are the ones that I am most concerned about. The branches of many of them are bent down and so their natural shape was flattened. My poor dogwood and Bloomerang lilac have been affected the most.... my paniculata hydrangeas are bad but they don't mind severe pruning so they will be good. The elderberry shrubs are in terrible shape too but then they often die back during winter anyway.... oh, and my ninebarks are just a mess....

What should I do with the shrubs like the dogwood Elegantissima, Bloomerang lilac, and ninebarks now? Should I just leave them alone? Should I prune them? Or???

I would very much appreciate your advice!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County