Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thirsty_dirt_77

Tomato Question

thirsty_dirt_77
10 years ago

So after a late start with the tomatoes in the greenhouse and an ongoing battle to control temperature, my main crop of tomatoes in the greenhouse is just starting to ripen.

I've grown tomatoes outdoors before but haven't see any look like this while ripening. Like all my other issues this year I have a feeling that the heat might be the cause... who ever said growing tomatoes in a greenhouse was easy by the way?? lol

Anyway - any thoughts or comments?? (Oh - the plants are also very healthy.)

Jetsetter Beef Steak

Plum Regal (Sauce Tomato)

Comments (7)

• Pudge 2b
    10 years ago

It's all got to do with the potassium or boron levels - you will find this article interesting. Also google results for blotchy tomato ripening.

http://agdev.anr.udel.edu/weeklycropupdate/?p=1503

http://agdev.anr.udel.edu/weeklycropupdate/?p=1463

• north53 Z2b MB
    10 years ago

Interesting articles, Pudge.
    I've noticed the yellow shoulder in some varieties in my garden. I've never had such disappointing results in growing tomatoes as the last couple of years. I'm ready to give up on them.

• Pudge 2b
    10 years ago

I feed my tomatoes Miracle Grow Ultra 15-30-15 (the yellow bucket) and (knock on wood) haven't had any of the nutrient deficiency problems that can arise.

• macky77
    10 years ago

Don't give up! :) Are you set on these particular varieties?

• thirsty_dirt_77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just checked on the tomatoes again and the color seems a lot more even today. And I'm happy to say that a lot more are finally starting to change with a more even color.

It's the first year with the greenhouse so the dirt may need some tweaking. As for Miracle Grow, I'm anti-Monsanto and anything to do with them but finding nature alternatives are fairly easy.

macky77 I'm definitely not set on these varieties... lol.... I want to try and find a better variety for growing in a greenhouse.... Any suggestions?

• intotheark
    10 years ago

i think heat (it was quite warm recently), watering and genetics
    plays a role in uneven ripening
    i had some 'green shoulders' recently,
    due to the heat drying out the greenhouse faster than i am used to

if in doubt pick earlier and allow to ripen indoors,
    i have heard this is a fool-proof method for consistent ripening of fruit (at the first blushes of color bring inside)

"Uneven ripening of the fruit with various areas of green to yellowish green on the fruit is called blotchy ripening. The cause is not exactly known but is frequently associated with low potassium (K) and high nitrogen (N) nutrition of the plant"

• macky77
    10 years ago

I don't have a greenhouse, so I can't comment on that front, but I've grown a whole host of toms outside and they do very well.

Applause is my all-time favourite hybrid. It's a really zingy beefsteak and the earliest of any tomato I've ever grown to ripen on the vine (with the exception of cherries and saladettes, of course). I love it so much I'm actually tinkering with it a bit so I can have a stable OP to grow in future. I grew F3 this year. I bought my F1 seed from Veseys, but I think it's available from Stokes, too. I've looked high and low to find out who bred the variety, but can't seem to find that info.

Also grown this year: Black Krim, San Marzano, Roma VF, and Polish Linguisa. The kids chose Juliet and Lemon Boy for their little garden area. They all produced well enough, but I didn't manage to keep up with tying the indeterminates, so they probably could have done even better.

I can't even begin to recall how many varieties I've grown in the past... all the standards you buy as bedding plants around here for sure, plus a couple dozen I've ordered through the mail. I don't grow any of them anymore, not because the plants weren't up to snuff, but because most tomatoes in general are too sweet for my taste. I like a complex flavour that's more acidic.

We garden in-ground. I test my soil in the spring and add whatever it needs. We've been good about working in the homemade compost and grass clippings the last few years, so the soil texture is improving. I add soy bean meal (from FeedRite) and a bit of synthetic nitrogen in the spring if it's called for (less and less each year) and we've been successfully lowering our very alkaline pH (though that's been only recently and the tomatoes were doing fine even before that). I don't fertilize at all over the rest of the growing season.