Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

If it isn't deer, it's.....

SQUIRRELS!!!!!!

I was walking around and seen the squirrels had tossed a couple truck loads of fir pine cones on to the ground in my yard and rose beds. As I was cussing them under my breath I noticed there was no blooms on my 'Black-eyed Susan's' The patch had just filled out and had many blooms and tons of buds.....the little buggers took all but one bloom. Then I happened to walk by the tomato patch and notice a pile on the ground all green with bite marks. By the size it was either my kids or squirrels....kids are at the grandparents so for a change I can rule them out :) The ripe cherry toms were gone...Serves me right for commenting to the wife last night that I would finally get to eat a tomato as the kids were not around.......baaaaa......

Anyone know where I can buy a retractable roof, like the one many football arenas to cover my property? I am willing to spend a couple hundred bucks to thwart all the 4 legged demons.

*edit* just got back from outside and I was shocked to see that they actually climbed up the stucco wire on the side of my shop that I had 'Scarlet Runner' beans and sweat peas growing.....They actually took the pods I was saving to seed with......well now that I am annoyed they will see what the 'country' in my name means when they enter my relocation program........

TIA

SCG

This post was edited by SouthCountryGuy on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 15:45

Comments (8)

• north53 Z2b MB
    9 years ago

I have a squirrel driving me nuts right now too. He's like a demon on speed or something. It's exhausting just to watch him. He is working non-stop on digging up pots and beds, hiding sunflower seeds. But some pots he seems intent on digging up for no reason. One hosta has been unearthed about 10 times. I had a little bed of succulents that he wrecked. He would dig it up and toss the plants out. I could happily kill him, honestly. But DH thinks he's cute! Sheesh.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

north53 I just returned from a relocation trip. I took it 'South' in the 'Country' by this 'Guy'. They only get the nice treatment if they are not tearing my buildings apart...lead is the cure for those.

SCG

• squirelette
    9 years ago

I have one spot on the DH's garden that they root around in all the time I don't know if they moon bathe there or what. Can't plants bulbs they disappear, even grape hyacinth, thought those at least would be safe. They picked a spot in my new veggie patch too cleaned out all the radishes. Luckily there is only 1 who is smarter than my dogs, the new ones don't last long before they get run off

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    9 years ago

The ones around here usually die of lead poisoning too. Never had trouble with them because of that. :>

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

They can be a real pest, [you need to control them] luckily, there are not too many around here. It always amazes me how much work they can do for winter prep...gathering food, whatever is around,..nuts, any fruits & seeds, mushrooms etc...come spring, I'll be cleaning out filled nesting boxes with dried up mushrooms.
    [at least they make sure for the disbursing of seeds and planting the garden for you lol.]

About 25 years ago when camping at Pocahontas Campgroud /Jasper, about this time of the year, these critters were chopping down white spruce cones just over the camper and littered the ground,..picked some up and grew new trees from them, got more then a hundred now about 20 foot tall.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kondrad, yeah they do need to be controlled, just like mice or rats. I made the mistake of not reducing the numbers this spring like normal and have had a population explosion. After posting on this yesterday I went around the property looking for damage and found a spot under my shop they been storing cones and my flower heads. Beside this they had started chewing on the wiring.....Mr. Nice Guy then left and Mr. .410 and Mr. .22 showed up. Plus their buddy Captain Snare Wire is coming from town to help out....

SCG

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    9 years ago

We have our faithful squirrel-finder all season long and even in winter when they wake up for a snack. He makes enough racket barking at them that DH finally gives in and puts him out of his misery. There's a new crop of them out there right now - this year's young, i guess - so the dog is extra busy!

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

SCG..
    LOL