Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Overwintering bulbs - tulips, crocus, lilies - in containers

xmpraedicta
9 years ago

Hi all,

Cross-post from the bulb forum. I just wanted to pick your brains re: overwintering bulbs. I'm planning on planting some spring flowering crocus and species tulips in some containers (balcony gardener here). I have an unheated shed that's attached to my house.

I've read that it's the freeze-thaw that is far more damaging than the cold weather itself, so I was planning on putting the containers in the shed, which is somewhat shielded. Any merit in further insulating the containers inside a cooler, which will further buffer against changes in conditions?

Anyone have experience with overwintering bulbs in containers, with the -40C temps?

I also have some lily bulb transplants. I built a big insulated planter using wood panels, lining it with building insulation panels, as an experiment. I planted some of the lilies in there, along with some siberian iris and perennials. We will see what happens in the spring! I have some bulbs left over - any suggestions on how to over winter them?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    9 years ago

When i've done bulbs in containers, i've always buried them in the ground for the winter. If you're going to try them in the shed, i would definitely add some kind of extra insulation.

The only bulbs that overwintered well for me were the pot lilies. Tulips always came up sparsely and misshapen.

You could also store the unplanted bulbs in the refrigerator over the winter and plant them in the spring after the -40 temps have passed (May, June.... LOL).

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice! I will report back with my experiment results

• don555
    9 years ago

I think you might have trouble in the shed. Most spring bulbs originate from areas where the ground never actually freezes in winter, and here they recommend planting them extra deep, I presume because of our cold temperatures. I have done pots of crocus and small daffodils successfully, but that was kind of underground... we had a sprinkler system, and the controller for it was about a foot below ground level, up against the house, in a dug-out box where you lifted a wooden panel to gain access. So I put the potted bulbs in there, and covered it with the wooden panel, then let the snow mound over that naturally. Then in February or so I would bring the pots indoors for a pre-spring treat. Another method that has worked for me is to put pots of crocus bulbs in the back of the fridge, but that obviously cuts into food storage so isn't ideal.

• Marla Geier
    8 years ago

I plant all my bulbs in containers, crocus, A lilies, daffodils, ect. I plant the crocus only 4 1/2 inches deep. The bulbs can withstand the cold, you have to keep them dry, if it rains, then freezes, that's what turns the bulbs to mush. I put a large plastic bag over my pots, when you plant them, ( when its above freezing) water them, then cover them, they will grow roots & sleep til they feel its warm enough then start growing in spring.

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks all! I posted this a year ago, and since then I have tried, and failed. I had the bulbs in pots, put them into a cooler and put the cooler into a shed. The cooler was my attempt at insulating against fluctuations in temperature. This spring, everything was mush/dead. I noticed that roots had tried to grow, but then the bulbs must have frozen and thawed a few times, and succumbed. I was so sad. They were out of the rain, but when I went to check on them in the middle of winter, the pots were rock solid blocks of ice. Anyone else have tips on how to do this? I might try to force them in the fridge this year, but the problem is finding a cool (but not too warm) sunny place for them to grow in the middle of winter.

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ubro - thank you. When you say store in a bag, you mean just loose, without potting up, in the peat moss (this is the ground up peat, and not sphagnum, I'm assuming). Do you just put them in there for the winter, and then pot them up and enjoy the blooms indoors?

• ubro
    8 years ago

Yes just loose. I do cut flower production, and I do not force them inside, but I would assume that unless supplemental lighting is provided then they would get tall and leggy in a home environment.

I plant in crates or in the greenhouse ground in early April. The suppliers I buy from send them in dry peat in a crate with ventilation, so I believe the bag for lilies has to have holes, not sure about the tulips or crocus.

I would say it is worth a shot. Here is a link that gives you a step by step

http://www.gardenguides.com/90702-remove-store-lily-bulbs.html

• prairie_northrose (3b north of Calgary AB, Canada)
    8 years ago

Thank you ubro for the technique. We will be trying this out with out 20+ amaryllis lilies this year. It's amazing how much they have reproduced on their own. We don't have the room to keep them potted and growing for the winter. I think I may perhaps even need a separate fridge for this project.

• ubro
    8 years ago

I have an old two door coke cooler. I use it to hold my bulbs so I can schedule the planting times. Temp. is important for bulb storage as well as moisture, each type has its own requirements. If you add the words "commercial production" to your Google searches you can usually come up with some good info on what each bulb type needs for proper storage.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!