Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Saskatoon berry 'tree'/ Clematis

Posted by leisuretime 3 AB (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 12, 06 at 16:47

Hello all.

I have a Saskatoon berry bush that is out of control, it at least 15 ft. tall, if not more. I'd like to bring it down to a more manageable level. Would I prune in the late fall or should I wait until spring? I was planning on removing the top third this first pruning.

I'm not sure of the variety of the clematis, it looks most like Clematis macropetala Blue Bird. It about 10 ft., the bottom looks like a bunch of dead sticks, then it is full of fluffy seed heads and finally at the top it has a somewhat droopy looking purplish/blue flower.

My question is can I prune it right back or would that kill the whole plant? Reading about the Blue Bird (again I'm not sure that is what I have) variety it said you don't need to prune it at all, just tidy it. I would like to enjoy the flowers but you can't see them because they all seem to be growing on the top of the plant.

Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Saskatoon berry 'tree'/ Clematis

You can prune the Saskatoon bush in fall. Flowers blossom on new wood.

I wish mine was 15 ft tall. I bought it as a privacy bush, but it's still about 1.5 feet tall, even after two years :(

Not sure about the Clematis.

o

Thanks Shazam. Tall is not necessarily a good thing when you want to eat the berries. I picked Saskatoon's all the time as a kid and didn't even recognize them on this tree. By the time I'd ID'd the tree the birds had eaten most of the berries.

o

Leisuretime, if you're wanted fruit from the saskatoon, start by removing all branches that are over 1" in diameter at ground level. Then trim the remaining branches back to a more manageable height. I'm assuming that, if its that tall, it has a lot of older branches. You'll get new shoots from the ground, and have a nice sized bush in a few years with good berries. If taking out all the big branches makes it too thin, do it over a couple of years.
Connie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here