Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Does Anyone Use a Bulb Auger?

nutsaboutflowers
13 years ago

Does anyone have experience good or bad, using a bulb auger?

Shazam bought a bulb planter and it's destroyed.

We have amended clay soil. I'd rather not plant 130 bulbs one by one, by hand if I don't have to.

A bulb auger could be used for other things, too, couldn't it?

Comments (8)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

No, never saw the need for a bulb auger. I don't know what else you'd use it for except digging a hole.

I never plant bulbs singly, so I'd rather use a shovel. I just don't like the looks of single bulbs growing. I dig a hole and plant 5 or 6 bulbs in a circle with 1 in the center. I space the bulbs about 3 inches apart. That way you bet a nice clump of tulips, daffodils or whatever.

I space the clumps far apart in my flower beds. It looks very good in the spring with the perennials growing plants and the tulips etc. blooming. Before they finish blooming I plant a couple of spreading annuals on each side--usually petunias. They grow in and cover up the space where the bulbs are. I don't plant that plant anywhere else. In the fall if I want to dig the bulbs up for some reason, I know exactly where they are.

That's my way of doing it others may have different ideas.

• Crazy_Gardener
    13 years ago

I do, always, can plant 100 in no time, I think I bought it at Lee Valley Tools ;)

I've never used it except for bulbs, but I'm sure you could you it if you a hundreds of annuals or smaller container plants.

Sharon

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

Wb, Sharon - nice to see you posting here again!

I bought a bulb planter thingy one year when i was trying to plant daffodils in part of the lawn that was under a lot of trees. I think it would have worked a lot better in a garden bed, but it never lived to do that.

• northspruce
    13 years ago

I do what Oilpainter does. I have in the past used a trowel but they don't really end up deep enough.

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

It was a cheapy $5 one made of carbon steel (although they all seem to be, unless they're made of plastic). I think I went through about 50 bulbs before it started to deform.

Did it save me any work? Meh.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, Crazy_Gardener's back =:)

I think since they're only $28.50 at Lee Valley, I'll order one and probably try it and a shovel depending on where I'm planting.

I do like the idea of 5-6 bulbs in a circle but also have some spots where I'll need almost a straight line.

I wonder if a person can pulverize dandelions and thistles with it? I realize it would make a big hole, but I could easily fill it back in......I also plant a lot of annuals, oh, and how about mixing in the top small bits of fresh compost material?

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I used my new bulb auger today and it's pretty cool.

For anyone who is unable or doesn't like to use a shovel or be on their knees, I'd recommend it. I'd also recommend it for anyone who's trying to make their life easier or more efficient.

It drills a nice neat hole if you practice a bit. By the third hole it'll be perfect. You have to drill and then pull it out and do that a couple times so the soil doesn't fall back into your hole. The only complaint I would have is that if you dig an 8" hole and your bulb doesn't end up right side up, it's a little difficult to get your fingers to reach down in, as the hole isn't very wide. I dug a couple big holes with a shovel and the auger worked great to loosen up the soil in the bottom of the hole. I think it'll be great for planting annuals, too. =:)

• leftwood
    13 years ago

Back in the 1980's when I was the gardener for the Minikada Country Club, I planted around 3000 tulip bulbs ever year. I had a bulb auger (the only way to go for these mass plantings) and it worked great. The soil was good garden soil, but I still had to resharpen the auger about every 500 holes.

This was a golf club for the rich (the King of Norway came when he was here), and I would dig all the tulips up ever spring before annuals were put in. All the spent bulbs were snatched up by club members. These rich people thought they were getting such a great deal...

Rick

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus