Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hippophae rhamnoides Sea Buckthorn

Posted by crazy_gardener ~Z2b~ AB Canada (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 23, 08 at 17:07

I bought some really nice anti-aging cream and I just love the feel of it on my skin. Although its really expensive. Then I thought to myself, why dont I grow some Sea Buckthorn shrubs!

Connie I think it was you that ordered a lot of these last year? How did they do this year, any fruit on them? Did you get a mix of female and male plants?
They are dioecious meaning there are male and female plants, so I assume you will need a male in order to produce fruit?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hippophae rhamnoides Sea Buckthorn

I have a male and female Sea Buckthorn. The first year a few berries. The second more. This is their 3rd year and it is loaded with orange berries.What is it you can do with those berries?They are very hardy but do tend to sucker quite a bit.I just mow them down with the lawn mower.

o

Sharon, my sea buckthorns are from the PFRA, so they come really small, and aren't a fancy variety, but they're free. I've been working on this row for several years - the moles and gophers seem to take out a few every year - and this is the first year I've had any fruit. The bushes are definitly a mix of male and female, though I'm not sure how you tell except by which ones have fruit. I just cooked them up and strained them to make juice, beegood. It's bright orange and tastes a bit citrusy. I guess they make nice jelly. DNA gardens has a recipe on their website, but I don't have enough fruit this year. The bushes I have that are fruiting are about 4 to 5 feet tall. They seem to start out quite slowly, and then all of sudden they're big full bushes.
Connie

o

Thanks beegood and Connie for your replies.
It use to be at one time where you could only get the free PFRA trees/shrubs if you had over 40 acres(?), I only have 22.
I now see it has gone down to 5 acres, I'll most likely order some now.
I might get a couple of cultivars next spring from Boughen Nurseries too just to try out too.

Good to hear about the control of gophers and moles!

Sharon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here