Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting peonies

Posted by robert24_gardner 2B (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 17:09

I have 2 peonies that were planted last spring. I now want to move them to a new location. How soon can I move them this fall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting peonies

Anytime starting about now is a good time to plant/transplant peonies.

September 1 is when I normally start cutting back various perennials including my lilies and peonies. I have tackled about 10 of the beds already this season cutting the daylilies down to about 8" high, the irises to about 4" and the old foliage and flowerstalks off other various perennials.

Peonies will be just fine if you want to move them right now. They will then have enough time to get established in their new home before freezeup.

Brenda

o

This is exactly what I've been wondering. I have one that I planted this spring to move...I've decided it's in too much shade. And a neighbour offered me a piece of one of hers that I admired. I told her I would get it in the fall. I even have the place ready for it. Now to remind her of her offer!

o

Thanks for the information Brenda, appreciate it.
Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here