Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viburnum trilobum

Posted by crazy_gardener ~Z2b~ AB Canada (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 23, 08 at 17:33

Right now I only have one of these shrubs, it is only a couple of years old, no flowers or berries again this year. Do I need two plants of the same species to get berries?

Does yours produce berries?

Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viburnum trilobum

Hi Sharon,
I only have the one shrub and it is quite young also, but has had flowers and berries for a couple of years. It's starting to turn a reddish color now also.
I can find the shipping label, but it has no date so I'm not sure how old it is. It might be over 5 years old. Maybe yours is just too young yet.

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 23, 08 at 20:33

Just let it get older. I have some young ones in the back that aren't producing berries, but their mama in the front yard, about 10 years old, produces very well, especially the last 2-3 years.

o

Thanks gals, I'll wait some more then.

Mine too is just starting to turn its fall colours. Beautiful shrub isn't it.

Sharon

o

I've always wondered why mine wasn't getting berries! It's about 5 or 6 years old now, and gets a few flowers but nothing noticeable for berries. Good to know that it's just its age, or lack thereof. :)

o

6 years is a long time to wait :(

o

I love how the colours changes on this shrub.

o

They sure are pretty aren't they Sharon! Is yours a named variety? I just planted a couple of 'Bailey's Compact' which are still fairly green. Hopefully I'll see some colour yet this fall. I have them planted with a golden elder, should be a nice combination.

o

Sharon, when i saw your picture, i thought "That isn't what mine looks like!" Mine has different leaves altogether. I'm pretty sure i bought it at a nursery and it was labeled Viburnum trilobum. I'll have to take a picture of mine and see what it really is.

o

They sure are GC! Mine is just the plain species, but I'm thinking of buying a shorter cultivars next spring to go into the shrub bed I made this spring. Oh for sure I bet it looks great planted by a golden elder!

Marcia, hmmmm, lets see a photo ;)

Sharon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here