Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aconitum/Monkshood Bloom time?

Posted by northspruce z3a MB CDA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 07 at 17:38

When does Monkshood bloom for everyone else? There was a small patch when I moved here this time last year, and it bloomed in October (with snow on top). I assumed it had been cut back and was reblooming but it hasn't been cut back this year and it's just budding out now. Is this normal??? I thought it was a summer bloomer. And it's in a fairly sunny spot too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aconitum/Monkshood Bloom time?

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 13, 07 at 17:57

Mine bloom in mid-late July (solid blue) and late July to August (blue/white bicolor). They're all in full sun.

o

Oh gosh, I think some of mine started before the roses started. I have a few different kinds and they are all done blooming now. They have been for a while.

o

Huh, that is so weird. Mine's solid blue and is just budding out for the first time right now. Luckily it stands up to frost very well. Last October it bloomed with snow all over it.

o

Gil, you most likely have A. henryi (Autumn Monkshood),
or A. fischeri syn. A. carmichaelii that bloom in the fall.
Aconitum x cammarum `Bicolor' blooms around the end of August and is still blooming right now, I have this one in the shade bed.

Aconitum napellus blooms around mid July, this one is in full sun.

Sharon

o

Ah that makes sense, thanks Sharon. From what I remember it did look like the solid purple A. henryi that I found on Google. Mystery solved.

o

Gil, I have the same monkshood. It blooms in Sept/Oct. When I bought mine years ago it was supposed to be a bi-colour, but turned out to be solid purple and a late bloomer.

Sierra

o

I have that same fall blooming monkshood; love it cause it blooms that beautiful blue after everything else is done. I'm always worried that the frost will get to it before it has a chance to bloom but even with a snow cover it seems to do well. I find the other summerblooming monkshood to be so floppy but arendsi is a sturdy performer and looks good all summer. BTW, I always have read that monkshood don't move well but I moved her wuthout any problem a few years back.

o

Thanks for posting this. I'm looking for more fall bloomers. I'll have to watch for this one. I seem to have good luck with aconitums.

o

Well I'd offer to save you some seeds but I don't know if it will ever set seed, blooming so late.

I agree Debbie, it is a very sturdy monkshood and not floppy like some of them.

o

Oh, rats. Arendsii is actually Aconitum carmichaelii 'Arendsii'. Are there any sturdy monkshood cultivars that bloom earlier in the year?

Thanks,
Sharon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here