Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

Aconitum/Monkshood Bloom time?

northspruce
16 years ago

When does Monkshood bloom for everyone else? There was a small patch when I moved here this time last year, and it bloomed in October (with snow on top). I assumed it had been cut back and was reblooming but it hasn't been cut back this year and it's just budding out now. Is this normal??? I thought it was a summer bloomer. And it's in a fairly sunny spot too.

Comments (10)

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

Mine bloom in mid-late July (solid blue) and late July to August (blue/white bicolor). They're all in full sun.

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Oh gosh, I think some of mine started before the roses started. I have a few different kinds and they are all done blooming now. They have been for a while.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Huh, that is so weird. Mine's solid blue and is just budding out for the first time right now. Luckily it stands up to frost very well. Last October it bloomed with snow all over it.

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Gil, you most likely have A. henryi (Autumn Monkshood),
    or A. fischeri syn. A. carmichaelii that bloom in the fall.
    Aconitum x cammarum `Bicolor' blooms around the end of August and is still blooming right now, I have this one in the shade bed.

Aconitum napellus blooms around mid July, this one is in full sun.

Sharon

• northspruce
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ah that makes sense, thanks Sharon. From what I remember it did look like the solid purple A. henryi that I found on Google. Mystery solved.

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Gil, I have the same monkshood. It blooms in Sept/Oct. When I bought mine years ago it was supposed to be a bi-colour, but turned out to be solid purple and a late bloomer.

Sierra

• debbiecz3
    16 years ago

I have that same fall blooming monkshood; love it cause it blooms that beautiful blue after everything else is done. I'm always worried that the frost will get to it before it has a chance to bloom but even with a snow cover it seems to do well. I find the other summerblooming monkshood to be so floppy but arendsi is a sturdy performer and looks good all summer. BTW, I always have read that monkshood don't move well but I moved her wuthout any problem a few years back.

• north53 Z2b MB
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting this. I'm looking for more fall bloomers. I'll have to watch for this one. I seem to have good luck with aconitums.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well I'd offer to save you some seeds but I don't know if it will ever set seed, blooming so late.

I agree Debbie, it is a very sturdy monkshood and not floppy like some of them.

• sharons2
    16 years ago

Oh, rats. Arendsii is actually Aconitum carmichaelii 'Arendsii'. Are there any sturdy monkshood cultivars that bloom earlier in the year?

Thanks,
    Sharon