Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckygal1

My garden

luckygal
10 years ago

This has been a difficult year for my garden as I've been absent too much and we had no rain for 2 months. I just couldn't keep up with the necessary watering. Plants were stressed and many perennials went to seed early and were cut back severely. I didn't take many pics this year as plants were only at their best for a short time. All have survived and returned with increased watering and eventually rain which shows how tough plants really are.

Therese Bugnet rose...

Autumn Joy sedum...

Lovage - I love my lovage! It grows huge but finished early, was cut to the ground and has returned...

Hydrangea Limelight has not done really well altho did look better earlier. Perhaps I'm expecting too much, I've only had it for 3 years.

My free dahlia from Botanus...

More pics at Photobucket.

Here is a link that might be useful: my garden photobucket album

Comments (5)

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    10 years ago

How nice for you to get this little bonus at the end of the season. Most of my garden is looking tattered and spent.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

So that's what the free dahlia was supposed to look like.... LOL I just can't get those darn things to bloom!

Looking at your PB pics - you had leopard's bane blooming in the fall? When I had it, it was always a spring bloom.

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

Boy, your idea of a neglected backyard (with stressed plants) isn't the same as mine...your garden is lovely.

• ostrich
    10 years ago

luckygal, your dahlia is GORGEOUS! Love the sedums too! What is lovage?

You have a really lovely garden!

• luckygal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks All!

Shillanorth, this regrowth was unexpected and only occurred because everything was weed whacked to the ground and then the rain came.

Marciaz3, I think they give free yellow dahlias, likely because it is not the most popular color. I've never had a dahlia before but may just have to order some in colors I like better as this one has done well despite the neglect and drought. My other very old Leopard's Bane is one of my earliest bloomers. This one I bought at a charity plant sale at the end of May and it's bloomed twice since then. I can't explain it and was surprised when it bloomed the first time and even more so when it bloomed again. Will be interesting to see what it does next spring.

Donna, my garden was abysmal this year with my neglect and the drought. It only returned after being whacked down to the ground and with the rain - totally unexpected by me.

Ostrich, lovage is a perennial that grows nearly 6' tall and has lovely foliage. It also has seed heads that are not all that attractive and then the plant goes into decline yellowing unattractively. I usually cut them off when they appear to extend it's season but this year it got whacked early and I thought it might not have survived. I watered it and fed it alfalfa pellets and it came back nicely. I call it 'the celery plant' because the stems can be used like celery in cooking altho I have never done so. The flavor is apparently similar and it does smell like celery. It apparently doesn't like to be moved as has a taproot.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH