Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciaz3

What to do with split tomatoes?

Most of my tomatoes are splitting, i guess because they didn't have enough water all summer and now are getting drenched. I've been able to freeze a few that are ripe enough, but the others will probably go bad before they ripen, right? Any ideas? I don't have a lot of them picked, but more are coming and they're starting to crack too.

Comments (7)

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

I think I'd pick them all ASAP, and ripen them in the house.

The ones that were split, I'd also let ripen, cut off the split part, cook the good bits in a pot on the stove for a few minutes, and then freeze for soup or tomato sauce.

Do you have lots and lots of them? I used to ripen split tomatoes in the house and most of them didn't go bad. I hope you'll be as lucky =:)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't have a real lot of them. Did you wrap them or anything? Oh, and you mean, you picked them green and let them ripen? I can do that - that's what we usually do with green tomatoes anyway.

Thanks, Lynne!

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

Marcia, I didn't wrap them or anything as I thought that would promote fungus growing in the cracks. I just put them into a cardboard box without a lid and watched for ripening.

There seems to be two sides to the pick green/blush or ripe debate as far as flavour goes, but I think if you're going to get splitting from the sudden rain, you may opt for the try to avoid splitting option. Remember though, I'm no expert, and I'm also a try it once and see what happens type of gardener. I've learned from lots of mistakes, LOL!

Maybe Don or Konrad or someone else with a bigger tomato harvest will chime in here =:)

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I throw mine out. :0( The only way I'll use them is if they cracked while I was picking them.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Sorry, not much of any help, I never seen this happen on the green one's, red yes.
    I'm sure, you can kook these into a dish of soup stew etc. some
    people use green tomatoes for relish. Perhaps saran wrap and
    lay them out till red...at least see what happens.

• Slimy_Okra
    12 years ago

I like to make a savoury chutney with a mix of chopped red and green tomatoes. Puree them, then cook with salt, cayenne pepper, lots of olive oil, a bit of cumin and curry powder if you prefer, pinch of sugar. Cook all ingredients until the consistency of ketchup. Goes well with Indian food.

You could omit the curry powder, eliminate the olive oil, substitute jalapenos for the cayenne pepper, and you can make a great salsa.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Some of the tomatoes were just too split - i should have picked them earlier. They just went bad. :( There are a few more out there that i'll pick before the end of the week when cooler weather is forecast, and i'll try to ripen them inside.

I've noticed that the variety of tomato that is splitting so badly is "Black Krim", from seeds someone sent me last year. I gave a friend some plants in the spring and she recently told me that hers were splitting too. Lack of water on our part is what i thought the reason was for ours splitting - the little beaver pond we use for watering has pretty much dried up (lack of rain, and, more importantly, lack of beavers!). But my friend did water her garden, so i'm not sure about the cause - skins that are too thin, i guess.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor