Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
collin001

Cool Aspens!

Collin001
12 years ago

Hello, I picked up some Quaking Aspens (Populus tremuloides) from the University of Saskatoon plant sale in June. They are a crooked variant from the Hafford Sk. location. How aggressive are the root systems? I don't know much about aspens. One of my locations involves sitting near a garden. I hope the roots do not make gardening impossible to do.

Here is a link showing the adult weeping form:

http://www.pbase.com/sjvucko/crooked

I am unfamiliar with growth rates though being part of the poplar family I think they would be rather fast.

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Manitoba - Crooked Aspen

Comments (8)

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

According to the link, these crooked trees are a grove of genetically mutated aspens.
    I would think the grower would know the answer better then us.
    Generally all aspens I know of sucker, ...not a problem if you have room, I would never plant one in your front or back yard.
    This species could be a bit stunted...just the way they look in picture, if you know the age of these trees it would help, if theyr'e 30 year's old then they would grow slow, if they're 5 to
    10, then it would be about average growth and would sucker more.

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

I love aspen, the sound of the leaves when the wind blows. I'm trying to talk DH into getting some and planting them on a hill in front of the house. They will be far enough away that if they fall due to the winds we get here (his biggest concern) they won't hurt any buildings. Marg

• mytime
    12 years ago

Our lot is surrounded by quaking aspen. I too really love them, but preferably in a woodland setting. They don't invade the lawn as constant mowing keeps them at bay, but they do try to invade the garden areas

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Collin001, those are cool and I hope they grow well for you. I'm generally not a big fan of aspen, though there are some stands and certain selections that are very attractive. Nearby to me there's some having very attractive lateral branching and I've come across others with desirable traits, some of which I've been propagating or digging to be placed in my yard, I find that the roots are generally not too much of a problem

Terrance

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

Mytime, that's what i was thinking - i like them in the bush, but i'm always trying to rip them out of the gardens!

• Collin001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll be talking to the local horticultural society about their growth habits. If too big and aggressive I'll have to find a home for them.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Yea...sure, cute looking things but with low branches growing sideways it would be hard cutting grass.

• Collin001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I am officially invited at the horticultural society meeting in Oct. One woman from Quebec will be making a special appearance to see the seedlings. She may also go and see the site if she can put up with a full day's drive on poor roads. I guess she is some sort of collector of rare plants. I will know more when I see her.

Supposedly there are only 3 places in the world that where the plants weep to that degree. I cannot verify if that is true or not at this time.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012