Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I think i killed it :(

Posted by marciaz3 Tropical3/NWOnt (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 19:25

People have talked about moving peonies like it was something easy to do. Today, i tried to move one up a foot so it was out of the shade, and i'm sure i killed it. I tried to dig up a large root ball but there was no way. I was slicing through huge tubers over an inch wide. Poor thing - i kept saying "I'm sorry!" to it over and over again. I socked the water to it once it was in its new home and it's supposed to rain tomorrow so it will get more water, but honestly, i think it's done for. This one is about 8 years old or so. There's another one i wanted to move as well, for the same reason, but it's about 20 years old and i'm really afraid of killing it too. It was my first plant ever, so i really want to keep it alive, but the cedar trees in back of that bed have overshadowed it and i'd like to get it more into the sun. Is there an easier way - besides cutting down the cedars, i mean! (that would be my solution, but dh would object a bit!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I think i killed it :(

It'll probably be okay. I never get all the roots out when I move peonies either. And the good news is, if it does die chances are you will get re-growth from the root pieces left behind. I always do. You could dig them up and try again if you have to, although you won't have flowers for a few years.

o

Hope you're right! Boy, if i planted all those roots, i could just about go into business! LOL

o

I know how you feel. I tried to dig out a mature peony once. It was seriously hard work and I really butchered it in the process. But I potted up a whole bunch of the pieces and sunk them in the garden. In the spring every one came up and I sold them all at my plant sale.
So I bet yours will survive, though it may take a while to return to its former glory.

o

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 11:48

I can so relate...after my experience, I decided people weren't digging and dividing peonies the size of mine. I had to give up getting it out (after mangling it) and only 1 of the pieces survived the process. A few years later the main one was back in its glory, but it was an awful lot of work to nearly lose the most striking plant in the garden!

o

I looked at it today and it seems all right. I don't know what i'll do about the older plant next summer. It's right in the shade now. Maybe i'll just lop off all the cedar's branches on that side. Think dh will notice? LOL

Good idea about selling the pieces at your plant sale. Our Hort. Society does a plant sale this spring, so i could pot them up for that. Thanks for the idea!

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 10:57

I'll bet it survives just fine. I hate, hate, hate digging up peonies so mostly I just garden around them. But if my willow trees get any taller and shade out that back border where most of the peonies are planted then I won't have much choice in the matter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here