Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

Fall 'PAD' issues..

Well is has been a long time since this has been discussed and I hope you are all doing well. I, unfortunately (well somewhat), fell victim to PAD (Plant Acquisition Disorder, for those that were not following the spring posts) this past week. BUT, I have learned that my condition has slightly progressed and I know suffer from RAS (Rose Acquisition Syndrome). Although, not usually life threatening, it shows my fast and progressive spiral to becoming a 'complete' addict.

Last week Grandiflora 'Dreams come true' came home with me and today they had a general 50% off sale (roses were 35%, go figure) and hybrid teas 'Belami' and 'Sunny daze' as well as Floribunda 'Marina' and knockout 'The Double Knockout' fit in my small SUV with my kids....Did I mention these are all 'tender' to this area and require extra protection...ugggg

Anybody else suffering from PAD or RAS due to fall sales that you "can't" resist?

SCG

Comments (7)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

I'm suffering from MDD (Money Deficiency Disorder) which puts a severe damper on PAD or RAS, or in my case, LAD (Lily Acquisition Disorder). I need to find another job.... LOL

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ohhh marcia, nearly all people that have PAD, RAS, CSD or LAD eventually run into MDD. Progression to it is eventual. Albeit, those that run into MDD earlier often are more likely to succeed in treatment BUT.... PAD, RAS, CSD and LAD usually quickly resurface when problems with MDD are over. I don't suggest another job as that gives you opportunity to talk with more enablers...your best bet is to hole up and not talk to anyone, for a very long time. Sorry.

SCG

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

Definitely part of the MDD is due to PAD and LAD. Fortunately, I won some autumn crocuses from Botanus, so that has helped immensely!

Not too many enablers where I work - i'm usually the one who is trying to pawn off extra plants on them!

• xaroline
    10 years ago

Picked up several roses at end of season sales.
    Cape Diamond, John Cabot, William Baffin
    Several peonies, but I got to the sale too late to get an Itoh at reasonable price.
    Caroline

• ostrich
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness, SCG, you are a RIOT!!!! LOL!

I was wondering what "PAD" was.... LOL! Anyway, I DID suffer from PAD!!! You know, one day I was driving home and my car mysteriously drove me to Sunnyside Garden Centre instead....LOL! Of course, I did not want to go there but my car made me....:-)

Anyway, I could not believe that I got a couple of Joe Pye Weed Atropurpureum, and also a peony Rasberry Sundae! I have always wanted a Raspberry Sundae but I was too cheap to pay the full price ($33.99!) for a little gallon pot, so now at half price, I finally broke down and bought it!

As for the Joe Pye Weed, this guy gets to be like 6-7 feet tall! I actually wanted it before but I didn't think that I had the space... but somehow at half price now, I suddenly have the space at the back of my Incrediball hydrangeas!!! LOL!

There were TONS of other things that I wanted too, but I just had to control myself and left Sunnyside without the other lovely plants..... sigh!

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marcia, giving plants away is a symptom of PAD, it gives your room to buy more. You have progressed much farther along than I had anticipated.

Caroline, those are some nice rose additions. I was looking at the cape diamond yesterday as well.

ostrich, curiously, does your car also talk to you? If so, please PM me as this is a very serious matter. To avoid confusion is very common for people with advanced PAD to experience plants talking to them. Inanimate objects is cause for concern.

Joe pye weed looks incredible as a back drop for hydrangeas also smells great! I was planning on putting it behind mine but waiting till I find the spots my hydrangeas like. I am moving one for sure (make room for roses and it didn't like that much sun). I am staying away from peonies for the time being....dahlias have a hold on me ATM.

Ohh if the weather could just hold out a couple more weeks..........

SCG

• ostrich
    10 years ago

SCG, how did you know? My car does talk to me.... she says, "get more plants! I have more space for it...." even though she is only a sedan with backseats that do not fold down!!! But she also believes in action speaking louder than words and that's why she will just automatically drive me to these nurseries when my mind said "no"!!! Sigh......

As for my plants!? Well, we have nice conversations often.... and as my friends commented, "you pet your plants so affectionately...."! I did not even realize that I was doing it......