Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bemidjigreen

Asters that actually blooms up here...

bemidjigreen
16 years ago

Hi all--I was wondering if anyone had any luck with finding an aster that blooms before the snow flies here in the far north.

I currently have aster laevis that obvious is too late of a bloomer for our area--where the change from summer to fall occurs within 24 hours and winter promptly follows 4-6 weeks later! This is the second year where I figure this plant will be killed by a killing freeze before it blooms.

Would novae-angliae be a better choice for our flash in a pan type of fall?

Comments (6)

• wildie
    16 years ago

I have "Giant Singer Andrella" Aster's from Thompson & Morgan. They are full bushy plants, large bright flowers, they've been in bloom since end of Aug. and are still going strong. I start them from seed outside each spring.

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

My Aster laevis blooms around the end of August.

Aster alpinus Alpine Aster blooms early around the end of June, early July.

Aster sedifolius nanus, blooms around August and is still blooming right now.

These Asters should be blooming any day now....
    Aster novae-angliae
    Aster dumosus 'Anneke'
    Aster novi-belgii 'Professor Anton Kippenberg'

Sharon

• bemidjigreen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions! I planted dumosus this summer and they've bloomed already...so I have high hopes for them next year. The Andrella variety from T&M is very pretty--I might have to give them a try next season.

Sharon--Your laevis actually blooms at the end of august? Wow--I planted mine in the fall 2 years ago. Right now mine is really big (20-24" tall and about 18" across) and covered in buds. Two killing frosts so far, its just a matter days before the big wammie arrives--I doubt I will see blooms this year (again :-( ).

I'm wondering what's the story with mine. Maybe I should try moving mine away from the house. Technically I am in the same zone as you Sharon. I've had no trouble with zone 4 plants over wintering in the bed where the laevis is as long as the plant has had time to settle in. Maybe the soil in that bed stays too warm in August?

Another avid gardener friend of mine said she had just torn out all of her asters this year. She was frustrated with no

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    16 years ago

mmmmmm ... there's no many nice asters now blooming in the countryside, I must take a walk and mark a few for moving into my perennial beds. Mind you, within my yard, I came across an awesome one with the most huge flower heads!

Terry

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

{{gwi:540642}}

Yeah, they appear along the countryside late summer here too, end of August in my garden. I have mine growing in full-sun. Just a few weeks ago, I had to shear some down because they were setting seed already and I'll yah, you sure don't want a million seeds flying around ;)

I wintersowed these ones last winter, but they didn't bloom this year, hopefully they will bloom before a hard frost next year.
    Aster cordifolius
    Aster ericoides Heath Aster
    Aster lateriflorus Calico Aster
    Aster ptarmicoides

Sharon

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    16 years ago

Great photo Sharon! I'd really like to collect many more of the species.

Terry