Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

I know there was a thread on garden successes and failures but decided to make my own, just for your vegetable harvest.

Today i picked the rest of the beets, the carrots and the potatoes, and the garden is done for another year. There's still swiss chard in it but dh will probably till around it, take the fencing off and let the deer finish it off.

So, successes. Tomatoes, beans (green, yellow and purple), cucumbers, zucchini (that fell into the "Ahhhhhhhhh! Run and hide!" category!), kohlrabi, beets, swiss chard and onions. So-so - lettuce, broccoli, cabbage. Poor - carrots, potatoes. Dismal - cauliflower, radishes and rutabaga.

All in all, i guess it was a relatively successful year for most things. Apparently many people around here had a poor year for carrots, and i'm not sure why. We had some really nice ones but most were small and many had started going to seed. We had a hot, humid summer, and that's probably the reason some things did so well and others did poorly.

How about everyone else?

Comments (6)

• beegood_gw
    11 years ago

My garden was a 4x4 box and just had a few things like lettuce radishes carrots and shallots. Everything such as it was did well. Oh also peas and dill. Can't go with out dill. Summer was hot here too so I watered . My tomatoes were in pots and the Early girl did the best. Was not impressed with the grafted Mighty Mato.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

Can basically say that nearly right across the board the garden had produced very well, though the potatoes were stopped in their tracks with the heavy moisture of July and the fava bean sulked in the heat and produced nearly nothing. Oh, the peppers had dropped their blooms also due to the wet, this from what should have otherwise been a bumper crop, from now on I'm gonna grow them in containers.

• nutsaboutflowers
    11 years ago

I was reasonably happy with my results this summer, although many of you know of my disappointing results with tomatoes in 5 gallon pots.

I was told that I may or may not do well considering my planting spot was lawn for over 40 years so I'm happy with the outcome. ( For those of you who are curious, the lawn had no artificial fertilizer for 7 years )

The pole beans surprised the heck out of me. Although they only produced two meals, I now know that they'll be well worth a try next year.

We ate a ton of green bush beans out of a spot that was about 3' x 2' at the most.

The peas were very disappointing. The heat and humidity caused me to have only enough to eat from the plants as I did other gardening chores. Never enough for a meal.

The garlic turned out beautifully and I'm definitely planting it again.

The leeks are still in the ground but I have high hopes.

My fall planting of lettuce failed to come up, but we had a heat wave right after I planted on August 15th, so no surprise there.

I'm still eating tomato sandwiches every day, so life is good =:)

Looking forward to next year.

• northspruce
    11 years ago

Well, the tomatoes, zucchinis, hot peppers and beans produced more than 3 families could use, and I preserved a lot. The single cuke plant produced as much as we could eat. Lettuce was just okay but the tomato plants smothered it a bit. Peas produced nicely in June but died swiftly in the heat after that. I had a pack of old dill seed and got only one plant out of it, but I saved all its seeds so I'll have more in the future. I also grew parsley and cilantro which did well, and beets from old seed that just produced a few. I built a third garden box this fall so I'll be able to plant more next year! And it has a fancy attached trellis for beans.

• Slimy_Okra
    11 years ago

If you throw a row cover over that swiss chard and keep the fencing, you can continue harvesting it for another month to six weeks.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was thinking that about the swiss chard. I could put my tomato cages on it and cover it with old sheets - that would probably work, eh?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths