Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do foundation beds cause problems with siding?

Posted by marciaz3 Tropical3/NWOnt (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 11 at 20:45

We have some kind of siding on the back of the house - hardboard, maybe? I have a foundation bed there, but have tried to keep the soil level below the siding. Dh thinks it will cause a problem eventually. I can see if the soil was touching the siding, but it isn't. And it's by no means wet there because that's on the north side under the eaves, so it's pretty dry.

I've never heard anyone talk about any kinds of problems and can't find much on the internet, so i'm asking the experts! Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do foundation beds cause problems with siding?

What else would be there if there was no garden? As long as the soil's not touching the wood and rainfall drains away properly there should be no problem.

At my parents' old house I had a garden at the west side and all the parging (stucco for the foundation walls) fell off. I thought it was because of the garden but it turned out all the parging that company did around the same time fell off, so it wasn't the garden at all. :S

o

I expect that if it is a foundation garden, you are watering? Would this mean periodic splashing of dirt and water on the siding? Even if not, if there is anything to significantly slow air movement or increase humidity, I'd have to agree with your DH.

Speaking from experience, my house used to have Masonite siding (a type of hardboard). On the north side of the house, the previous owners had banked soil against the siding above the cement block/wood frame joint on the end to the east. To the west, the soil was 5 inches below the siding. When I bought the house I immediately dug out the east end, but left the west end as it was. Mowed grass grew right up to the house. Over the years it was evident that the lower edge of that siding significantly degraded while lower edges on all other parts of the house were still fine.

Rick (who now enjoys steel siding)

o

Masonite - that's the word! LOL

We used to have grass right up to the house and then dh, who hated mowing, ran a strip of rolled roofing along the house and put gravel on top of it. It was okay, and maybe i should have just put containers there, but i slowly over the years took out the gravel and the roofing and planted gardens there. I do water, but not all that much. Occasionally, i'll water along the back edge when it gets really dry. I see no damage anywhere, but it "could happen", you know! In the front we have vinyl siding, so there have been no complaints (yet! LOL).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here