Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canna lilies

Posted by celtic-07 3b N.W.Ontario (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 29, 09 at 21:14

Help this is the first time growing canna lilies but not the last. They are 5-6 ft. tall still blooming,are in large pots with other plants. When do I prep them for winter storeage? Pots too big to move in( 1/2 whiskey barrels & larger). Do I dig them out, cut them back , dry them store ? Any advice would be welcomed. the weather has taken a sudden turn-cool for the next while & I don't want to loose them-10 dk leaf with red-orange flowers 3 purple varigated leavewithreddish flowers 1green varigated with yellow orange flowers and 1 green tones leaf with pink flowers thanks
Lois

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canna lilies

You can wait for a frost, or just dig them up and bring them in anytime now. A frost won't damage the rhisomes as long as the ground doesn't freeze. Just dig them up, cut off the stems to about 2", pack them in peat moss (or whatever storage method you choose, people do different things) and keep them somewhere cool and dark.

o

Northspruce do I let the rhizomes dry out at all or put them into the peatmoss damp. I've overwintered bulbs/corms before and have let them get dry first. can they be divided and when.
thanks Lois

o

Yes, let them dry a little. You don't want them to go moldy. One year I didn't have peat moss and packed them in shredded newspaper and they did fine. For now store the rhisomes as they are, and in the spring cut them up so each piece has an eye (or a shoot). I usually cut no more than in half, I like the look of 2 or 3 stems together. At that time you can cut off any soft spots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here