Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

F Coming - Not Giving Up Yet

nutsaboutflowers
12 years ago

I'm not prepared to give up just yet. It's only September 13th.

There's a frost warning, so I just covered most of my garden, until I ran out of things to cover stuff with, and put the pots in the garage.

My main flower bed is in glorious full bloom and I'll be darned if a bit of stupid F is going to burst my bubble yet. According to my calculations, I have at least 3 more weeks!

Anyone else? Will you be covering your garden or just letting it go? I need to look for the discussion we had about this last year to check the date.......

Comments (20)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

I put most of my containers into the shed and we covered the tomatoes and the pumpkin this evening. There's no way i can cover some of the flower beds, so what's there will have to fend for themselves. It's too bad - the cleome and the cosmos are gorgeous at the moment. Most of the petunias look so awful right now that a bit of f**** might do them good! LOL But, yeah, the weather is supposed to get better by the weekend, so it's worth saving things, i guess.

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

I covered the Sungold tomatoes, mom's butternut squash patch, my single Zucchini plant and all the containers. I picked off all the corn and the big tomatoes. I don't doubt that we will get frost tonight, it's really cold out there, clear and calm.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just checked the post from last year and I covered things on September 16, 17, and 18.

Shazam reported snow on the night of the 16th, twrosz had a hard killing frost the same night, and Konrad was going to get -8 the night of the 17th.

Dare I say we can't possibly have another disappointing growing season next year again?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Forecasters were calling for frost north and east of Edmonton, though it's pretty nippy here west of the city... at 10:45 pm and in a lower lying area of my yard, the thermometer is reading only +3C ... I hadn't checked the higher ground where the veggies are, though we did cover the cucs, tomatoes and peppers, I doubt it will freeze hard enough to hurt the corn being in the husk. But, unless, clouds come up or the wind begins to blow, I think the ground will be white in the morning ... summer is just too short eh!

Terrance

• DrHorticulture_
    12 years ago

I think this growing season was pretty good, especially when compared to 2009 and 2010, and our first fall frost is typically September 15th anyway...

I covered the toms, eggplants and peppers. I'm not even sure if it will be enough against what seems to be a hard frost developing. I'm sick of zucchini so I "let them go". Sorry, zucchini. That leaves just the chard, spinach and chinese cabbage which should be fine for another month or so.

• shazam_z3
    12 years ago

No frost in Calgary this week. It's cloudy though, but not raining. I wish it was though, we could use the moisture.

• don555
    12 years ago

I'm watching things... it was 4.4 degrees at midnight, with a 15-20 km/hr breeze. Unless the wind dies, I don't see much point covering anything, since the cold will blow through the sheets anyway. It's only my blackberries and hot peppers I would cover, I think pumpkins and squash can take -2 to -4 before any damage to the fruit (and I've picked some of the ripe jack-o-lantern and pie pumpkins already anyway). I've eaten so many millions of zucchini already that I'll be glad to see them end! Didn't grow tomatoes this year, or corn, because of lousy success with them last year.

I wouldn't really mind frost now, time to switch to garden clean-up, preparation for winter, and to start some indoor plants under grow lights... the first of my winter indoor hot pepper plants is coming up today! Now I need to plant herbs for under the lights, plus await the other hot pepper seeds I ordered this week for my winter garden!

12 years ago

It was windy here all night so it didn't freeze, but this morning it's +2 with a windchill of -2. How about that? Windchill!

The past few years, we've had long falls and i've enjoyed that - it extends a few things in the garden and gives a person time to accomplish what you want to get done in the fall. And the longer we go without s***, the better i like it!

• Collin001
    12 years ago

I keep a thermometer in the shade for this purpose. It read -6c this morning. Time to pull.

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

The cucs, tomatoes and squash (leaves) all froze, even under the covers. Corn stalks which were not covered (but also no cobs left on them) also froze. Flowers are still okay

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Some cloud had rolled in about 1:30 am and for the most part frost was averted, only the very slightest touch could be detected upon the most sensitive of plants. Things are still looking great here and I certainly don't mind squeaking out a few more weeks if possible ...

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

No frost here in town. Tomatoes are still exposed and still look great. I picked about 4 ripe ones today and a couple handfulls of cherry ones.

• bdgardener
    12 years ago

I'm not giving up yet either. I had a hard frost Aug 15th if you remember. Had some more last week and might get some tonight. Picked the biggest of the outside tomatoes. They are in the basement (roma's for salsa). Covered the rest along with the cucs and zucs. Beans have already been pulled. At this point in the year I cover and don't even bother uncovering. Tomatoes in the greenhouse will be ok for awhile yet. Suppose to get some good weather next week. Sure hope so, I still have tonnes of work to get done. C

• montana_rose
    12 years ago

We had heavy frost both Tuesday and Wednesday night (thanks, Canada!). I couldn't cover everything so lost some, but most looked ok early this morning. Rather surprising to me what went down and what survived. Cosmos and some Asters froze but around 20 begonias did not seem any worse for wear. Who knows?

12 years ago

We were away overnight and just got back. Judging from the look of the cleome and the nicandra, i'm afraid to check the tomatoes. :-/

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

We had that crappy white stuff yesterday. It didn't stick around tho. Hopefully it will get warmer so my last 2 daylilies can have a chance to flower. May May has 7 buds but Blackberry Candy, who is doing the best job of flowering ever, has over 20 blooms on a new scape and there's another scape staring. Marg

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

+12 right now and we had some rain over night. It is warm in the house even with windows open so maybe we will hold this trend for a couple more weeks. :) So sorry others are getting frost .

• shazam_z3
    12 years ago

So apparently it's going to be quite warm next week. Sure beats last year this time.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For those of you who have used, or are thinking of using Agribon.....

One layer of it didn't completely save my zinnias. Parts of them were a little tinged. Plus, the tomato leaves are rather wilty. It suppposedly went down to -4 the other night. The zinnias under the light flannel sheet were a little tinged, too.

The Agribon is really easy to use though, so I'd just double it next time =:)

12 years ago

Only the leaves on our tomatoes were singed, but the annuals that i didn't cover, like cleome and cosmos - toast. :(

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County