Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joan_dupuis

anyone had success growing calla lilies from their own seed?

Joan Dupuis
15 years ago

My seed pods are still green. I've read that once they start turning yellow is the time to pick them.

Anyone here try Calla's from their own seed? tell us about your attempts/success.

Joan

Comments (15)

• gladzoe
    15 years ago

I was going to try this year, mine are still green as well but I'll take them into the house when it's going to freeze.

• newine_gw
    15 years ago

I have grown callas from seeds for a few years now and it is really easy.Take the seeds heads in when they start to yellow and set them somewhere to dry out... a shelf, a windowsill. wherever.Then sometime in the beginning of February, I take the dried out seed head and clean up the seeds as best I can.I soak them for 2 days and then rub of any remaining husks. Plant them at about their own depth in seed starter mix and wait for the results.I have found that I get pretty much 100% germination.I plant the resulting cormlets in with my full sized callas so that I don't lose track of them. I have had some bloom the second year for me, but normally it takes three years. I started out with several handfulls of donated corms and now have enough to fill 3 big planters...ie cast iron syrup kettles and copper washing machine bases.Next year I will have enough to fill a 4th planter.

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So you don't just plant the whole individual kernel? You open the kernel up to get a seed from inside ? A pic would be good as I'm a visual person. Thanks for your help

Joan

• cnid
    15 years ago

I have picked them green, yellow, frozen. They all seem to germinate for me.

Last year, I put them in starter mix right away (ie Nov) - that batch did not do well (about 50%). I usually let them sit (dry) until about Feb and then throw the whole ball (kernel) in - they did well that way too. Sometimes they take a long time. Have not had my first ones bloom yet but I think they will next year.

I am sure there are some ideal conditions to maximize germination but what I love about them is they just grow!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    15 years ago

I had some apricot coloured ones this year. Would they come true from seed? I didn't save any seed - never thought about it - but it would be interesting to try another year.

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well the ones I planted fresh, did nothing but go to mush. I have some that I cleaned, let dry and put in my cold room in case. I guess I'll wait awhile and try those ones later. From what I've read, they do not come true from seed.

Marciaz3, I have white ones and burgendy ones. Maybe we could trade some seeds next Fall. I like apricot.

Joan

15 years ago

I've never had callas before, so i'm treating them as i would glads or cannas - i dug up the tubers and am storing them in a cool place. Hopefully they'll be okay. I'm writing a note to myself to remember to save some seeds, Joan, and putting it in my garden journal where i'll see it. :)

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've grown them from boughten tubers/corms for years in a pot on my patio. I just cut them back in Sept/Oct and put pot and all in the basement (cold room where I store my veggies)for the winter. About April, I bring the pot up and give it a little water and soon they are growing again. I planted and lost all the burgendy ones, so only have white ones to try later. Maybe we'll have luck next year. If we get a bunch of others interested, we could trade and have lots of colors to try.

Isn't that the way of a gardener... always looking forward to next year...

Joan

• gladzoe
    15 years ago

marciaz3 - I always dig up my tubers and put them in peat moss. A few have been left in pots, watering infrequently, but then sometimes the tubers get too large for the pot.

15 years ago

I didn't have any peat moss this year so they're just in bags. Is there something else i could use?

• gladzoe
    15 years ago

A bag will probably be just fine. Sawdust, vermiculite, sand would probably too. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for packing is just to protect them from falling.

• cheerpeople
    15 years ago

Hi!
    That's a bummer they went mushy.
    I had a hard time getting them ripe before frost here in zone 5. I carried the container to a shed for them to finish ripening there. I cleaned the pulp of ea seed and dried them.

That's good to know I don't have to do that in the future, and that even green seedheads produce viable seed. Thx.

Here is the result of the seed collected in 2005. Yes that's started indoors and kept in all winter, planted out 06, stored bare in the cool basement winter 06, planted out o7 and this year in the same manner. IN out, in out, in out!

Here is a pic-
    20 # of calla lily bulbs that had better bloom next year!

FWIW I don't have to store them in peat. I just put them away in the basement in these mesh trays after the foliage is removed.

Karen

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You've done great Karen. I'd be interested to know what color was the flowers of the parent seeds, and if the seedlings have flowered, what color were the new plant's flowers?

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yAHOO

I potted up some of the white seeds I had left in the cold room and I have sprouting.

Yeah I know, I won't see flowers for about 3 years, but I love the surprises when the flower and you get to see what colors they will be. Hopefully not all white.

Joan

• Betsey Cloutier
    8 years ago

I watched a video on growing Cannas from seed. I live in Ont. ..so I waited until the pods turned brown..almost black... https://youtu.be/ocyDPVSAD3M

I opened them and saved the seeds in a dry container. In March, I took sandpaper, and sanded each seed SLIGHTLY ...just until I just saw the white part inside. I then put them in a clear glass of water in a warm place until I could see a little white "bud" protruding...this could take 1 week, so be patient! Plant them in light soil, just below the top, under ANY kind of light...I used a regular florescent bulb. (You don't need anything fancy, or sunlight)Keep the soil moist, not wet. When they get bigger, take them outside during the day, when the warm weather permits to "harden" them. (Gets them used to being outside) Transfer outside when frost is finished...usually around June 1st. Mine bloomed the first year! The seeds were from a red canna...so far, they are YELLOW!!! I'm very pleased and excited! =)