Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Will Anyone Want to Cover Plants More than Once?

nutsaboutflowers
13 years ago

We've had such a bad growing season this year. I know a lot of others have, too.

I just covered most of my flowers, although I was rather reluctant and wasn't very thorough. I think I've run out of patience and may not bother doing it again this year.

Some of my annuals were at their best only a week ago. My Lavatera isn't looking great. Last year it looked good until mid-October =:(

It's still summer and I just saw that Fort McMurray got snow.

Thoughts?

Comments (15)

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

It was a disappointing year!......You're not alone.
    Here, not much gets covered...it seems game over anyway, we're getting
    colder next week, minus 8 tonight.

• ljpother
    13 years ago

I've got too much to cover. I dug my geraniums today and put them in the greenhouse. I still haven't decided how I'm going to overwinter. I'm thinking of taking cuttings, planting up a few for in the house, and letting some dry out and put them in a cool dark place. Not like last year when they sat in a box under the cellar window. Lost a few :)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

I had a lot of my more sensitive things up on the deck but finally took them inside. I have a big west window in the porch and my geraniums live there in the winter (largely ignored, i must confess). I have an alternathera and a red shield hibiscus that i also keep inside. Still to come inside are a couple of other things, a shamrock with pink flowers and a dichondra that are in a hanging planter on the deck, and it hasn't gotten cold enough to get at them yet. There's also another thing that i put in a container for the summer and will maybe take cuttings of - my sister-in-law called it Swedish ivy but i don't think it is. It has silvery fuzzy leaves, not traily, and gets blue flowers.

I sometimes bring things inside and then put them back out again when the weather gets milder, but i don't know if i'll do that this year. We've had a long growing season this year (sorry! Just our luck this year! LOL), and i just am not in the mood to extend it much.

• beegood_gw
    13 years ago

After a certain time ( like NOW ) I just let nature take it's course. So many more things to be done in the fall which one is emptying pots etc. In the spring I will do anything I have to to save them but now--- bye bye .Your time has come.

• northspruce
    13 years ago

I don't bother. The only thing I'll be bringing in is my Chinese Aster that I need seeds from. I wait until the ground freezes around November and cover my roses.

• stanly
    13 years ago

Last nite I took most of my containers with Geraniums inside the greenhouse and covered them. I'm like ljpother in that I don't know what I will be doing with them. They are very big and I think I will be taking a lot of cuttings. I don't really have anywhere in the house that's on the cool side but I have a developed attic so will try to grow them under lights. I took a lot of seeds from my "foxy" foxglove and from Lavatera and Datura. Stan

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

It s---ed where I am, so I just gave everything a good spraying this morning to wash off the frost and s--- before the sun came up.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    13 years ago

Very hard killing frost last night, it ended what had been a poor and discouraging growing season! I only have a few things covered that I'll keep going for a while longer ... otherwise, everything is toast! ... mmmmm, never even much got the chance to enjoy the yard and flowers due to all the cool crappy weather!

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I decided yesterday, as I surveyed the plants, that I'd cover some of the flowers one more time. The forecast doesn't include frost for the next while.

Afterall, my gallardia just barely started blooming, the marigolds still look pretty good, etc. I put the mandivilla vine in the garage for the night as it's still got a lot of beautiful blooms. I threw out the tomato plants and the pole beans that didn't get a chance to produce anything.

After this, I guess I'll do fall cleanup in the order the plants die.

I guess we can always look forward to next year =:)

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

Hard frost last night. Even the perennials got knocked back a bit.

It's three stinking degrees out right now. Sigh.

• glen3a
    13 years ago

I use to cover things to keep them alive as long as possible. As I get older maybe I am realizing that everything has it's season. Frost forecast for here tonight. I will likely cover tonight but just the plants I am bringing indoors. After having a windowsill with plants bothered by bugs last winter, I think I will try to limit what I bring in. It is disappointing as it hasn't been a very nice September so far and if this cool weather keeps up, it will be a cold October.

• DrHorticulture_
    13 years ago

All warm-season crops are finished. I didn't cover them because I wanted them to die early (I'm a sadist!) so I could get my fall crop out as soon as possible. I'm setting out transplants of kale, bok choi and spinach in the greenhouse where the eggplants kicked the bucket today. I sowed bok choi under row cover in another bed. I think I'll lay down row cover in the greenhouse too. With some luck, I'll have fresh greens into November. Fingers crossed...

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shazam! Holy Cow! The f word is bad enough, but the s one?

So, now that I've covered twice, they've changed the weather forecast and if I want to save anything, I'll have to cover again tonight. Three's my limit........I think.......maybe just a few things............

Drhorticulture - I see you're doing spinach transplants. Do you suppose my lettuce will still grow? I started some a few weeks ago just to see what would happen. It's between 1/4-1/2 inch high right now. It's soil line is about three inches below the rim in a cedar planter.

• DrHorticulture_
    13 years ago

Hey naf,
    Is it romaine? If so, it can take some frost and grow a bit until mid-Oct or so, but I would harvest it once we stop getting double digit highs. Iceberg is even less hardy. I tried growing spinach and other cool season crops without a greenhouse once and it was mostly a bust (radishes worked). The spinach survived but didn't grow at all. So, I'm very happy to have something to extend the season a bit.

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

Yup, white rain in Calgary. What a screwed up summer.