Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Fall Cleanup

Crazy_Gardener
16 years ago

Oh how I recall the overwhelming clean up chore it was this past Spring, so today I spent the whole day cleaning baskets and containers and cutting down some perennials so that IÂm not so crazily busy next spring.

I dug up the Dahlias, Crocosmia and Peacock Orchids and have set aside the pots of Japanese Iris, Hibiscus and Sambucus Black Lace and will store them down in the pumphouse in a few days.

I also raked up some bags of fallen leaves and will make some black gold with them.

It was such a beautiful Fall day today and now everything looks so clean and tidy too ;)

So what have youÂve been fall cleaning these days?

Sharon

Comments (10)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

I've dumped a few containers too, but haven't done much else in the way of clean-up. Most of the containers are still alive - can't dump 'em yet! It's going to start soon, but not this weekend. I have the newsletter to do and it's supposed to be lousy weather. Maybe next weekend. :)

• redpeony
    16 years ago

Today I cut off and disposed of the dead looking lily stalks, surprisingly these were mostly the oriental lilies that hadn't even really finished blooming before the frost hit and not the asiatic ones that have been finished for a long time now. I left all the stalks that were still green, so now it looks much better.
    The alive plants still out number the dead plants in my pots, so those will stay for another week or so.
    If the weather is not too bad this weekend we will blow out the sprinkler lines, but that's about it for now.

Janet

• northspruce
    16 years ago

I'm not even sure if my yard has had a frost yet! I still have cannas and salvias - in pots, not near the house - that haven't been touched so I'm assuming not. I will need to cut down the peonies soon, they are starting to yellow. I have never cut down lily stalks in the past - never had a problem with disease yet and then I know for sure where they are in the spring. I have no idea who is going to winter protect my roses for me in November while I'm having a baby... I have a bad feeling it's going to be me anyway so I know it's done properly. >:0(

Oh yeah one more complaint! I have so many leaves to rake, last year I used the lawnmower & bagger but now my lawnmower's broken! Aaagh!

• inanda1
    16 years ago

Sharon,

My crocrosmia were forgotten in he garden last fall. They all survived and bloomed this year, so I'm leaving them again.

Even one LA iris (also forgotten) survived and grew like mad this summer. No bloom though.

Ginny
    Manitoba Regional Lily Society
    Northern Lights Regional Iris Society

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ginny, that's great to hear.... my Crocs and LA Iris were growing in pots this season, same with the Sambucus Black Lace, next year I'll transplant them out in the beds.

Gil, if your Cannas are not black, you haven't got hit from Jack yet, lucky you!

Sharon

16 years ago

Two of my cannas finally have buds! LOL Better late...

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am officially done gardening for the year, outdoors that is ;)
    Today I covered up the Bucks and other tender perennials with straw, mulched the paths and cleaned all the pots and containers. I have a funny feeling I'm going to wake up very stiff tomorrow morning.

How's your garden fall cleanup coming along?

Sharon

16 years ago

Done here too. Well, there are two little containers that still have million bells in them, but they were frozen today. It's supposed to be pretty mild tomorrow, so i'll see if they thaw out enough to dump. Otherwise i might have to bring them in. The containers were done quite awhile ago - all are stored under the deck.

It's nice out your way today, isn't it, Sharon?

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Feels good to have everything done eh Marcia, now I just wish will have a mild winter again like we had last year.

I have sooooooo much straw left over from the round bale that was dropped off Thanksgiving Day! Oh well, I'm sure I'll find some use of it next Spring.

Not bad today, overcasted at High 5°C

Sharon

• prairierose
    16 years ago

I am officially done! The last flowerbed is mulched,and I finished watering in my plants yesterday. Hoses are away, flowerpots are empty - Done! If I get the urge, there's always some pruning that I can do, and those seed catalogues should start coming pretty soon, shouldn't they?

Connie

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!