Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

The string about bulb planters reminded me of this:

A wire cup brush (the wires are parallel to the shaft) on a cordless drill is a pretty good tool for weeding. It won't take out big weeds, but when you are working in tight beds and containers, it works great.

Another trick I use. Take a chisel: Put 1 inch in a vice.

heat the next inch red hot with a torch. Bend to a right angle. Sharpen the sides and ends. Great tool for weeds in rock beds, and contaienrs.

Don't use a good chisel.

Comments (8)

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

Could you please give more informaton and/or description on how you use the wire cup brush? All I can imagine is it spewing dirt from here to kingdom come, LOL ! I also imagine, with all the weeds I have, big holes all over the place..... =:)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

Seems to me all that dirt flying around wouldn't be good for the drill and why would you use a chisel when you can buy a garden tool to do the same thing for the same price. Fine if you've got expendible tools but we don't.

I am all for inovation and finding a new purpose for things in the garden, but it has to be something that is practical and cheap and something that will work better than what I've got.

• Sherwood Botsford (z3, Alberta)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@nuts
    My drill has 2 speeds, a slower one for driving screws, and a faster one for drilling. I use the cup brush on the slower speed usually.

My soil has a lot of clay. Weeding this way, is more like sanding a brick, or brushing dirt off a sidewalk with a stiff broom.

@oilpainter
    I looked and was unable to find a garden tool that worked in confined spaces, that had the ability to hold a good edge, and was sturdy enough to take on a large weed, certainly not for the $2 that a cheap chisel costs (or 25 cents at a garage sale.) You may have access to better tool sources than I do.

The chisel point can get all the way into the corner of a square pot. Keeping the rounded corner next to the main stem allows me to work fast without fear of taking out the stem. The edge of the bend is used like a stirrup hoe. I can typically do a 6" pot in about 5 seconds, and given that I have lots of pots, this is a win.

I have seen some cheap mini-tools designed for containers. Plastic or blunt or weak. What would you recommend for working in 6" square pots for taking out weeds at the 2-3 inch stage? Remember that my soil is heavy, and quite solid when dry.

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

Closest thing is something like the Yankee Weeder from Lee Valley. Pretty expensive at $18.50.

Chisels are dirt cheap. You can get them at Princess Auto or Walmart for $1.50

• swontgirl_z5a
    13 years ago

One of my friends uses an old paring knife. I prefer to pull out the roots too but if you have clay soil a knife works well.

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

Well to each his own. We all have different gardening requirements. I too have a lot of pots but I never have weeds in them, so I need nothing to weed them. Outr garden gets tilled and that takes care of what weeds are there. My flower beds get well weeded in the spring and every weed is removed. With all of these if we see a weed we pull it

You see sherwood our needs are different. I was not aware you could buy a chisel so cheaply, so the more power to you for the creativity to make tools that work for you.

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

I took sherwood's drill suggestion and made this:

{{gwi:777058}}

;)

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

That's hilarious!

You wouldn't have to worry about safety glasses, long pants and sleeves using that thing..........