Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

2 quick hosta questions

northspruce
12 years ago

1) what was that Canadian website we were talking about within the last year that had dozens of different hostas?

and 2) would you order hostas now or is it too late? Should I wait until spring?

Comments (18)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Was that Fundies Beauties that I just mentioned?

http://hostageek.ca/

I have still 12 hostas to put in and have done it before , so I don't think it is too late. :)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

Floral & Hardy has lots of hostas and Betty is great to deal with.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! The site I was thinking of was Gardens Plus but they're done shipping. I am considering the "Road to Ruin Collection" from Hosta Geek. It has some of the ones I wanted anyway...

12 years ago

If you've never ordered from him before, you are in for a wonderful surprise! And the fact that Pat is so great to deal with is a bonus! :)

• northspruce
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Do you think it would look bad if I planted 15-20 different hostas in the same (large, triangle shaped) bed with none of them repeating? I have very little experience gardening with hostas - I only have 3.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I ordered them and a ligularia (japonica) and told him you sent me. ;0) Eeeee so excited!

• valleyrimgirl
    12 years ago

Gil,

I have ordered from Pat Vinish, the Hostageek, for years and am always extremely pleased with the size of the plants and especially the root system on his hostas.

Floral and Hardy...Betty's hostas are nothing in comparison to Pat's. Her hostas are very small in size and I have lost quite a number of ones from her and so, order from Pat now instead.

Gil, in my yard, with my 300 plus hosta, there are very few repeats in my flowerbeds. It looks great! I say, go for it!

Which ones did you get honalee?

Gil, which ones did you get?

These are the ones I got a week ago and they are all planted in their permanent spots except Victory (who is awaiting the removal of a mature spirea first)...

Hosta, Atlantis
    Hosta, Aztec Treasure
    Hosta, Blue Hawaii
    Hosta, Captain's Adventure
    Hosta, Chain Lightning
    Hosta, Cracker Crumbs
    Hosta, Dark Star
    Hosta, Deane's Dream
    Hosta, Emerald Ruff Cut
    Hosta, Fat Cat
    Hosta, Ghost Spirit
    Hosta, Golden Waffles
    Hosta, Iron Gate Glamour
    Hosta, Ivory Coast
    Hosta, Lakeside Midnight Miss
    Hosta, Linda Sue
    Hosta, Ocean Isle
    Hosta, Ooh La La
    Hosta, Paul Revere
    Hosta, Peter Ruh
    Hosta, Queen of the Seas
    Hosta, Sea Ebony
    Hosta, Ulysses S. Grant
    Hosta, Victory
    Hosta, Worldly Treasure
    Hosta, Wylde Green Cream

Brenda

• northspruce
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Brenda, the September special is extra large plants and flat rate shipping. I appear to be paying extra for shipping the ligularia but it's still a steal overall.

I'm getting the Road to Ruin collection with a couple of subs, instead of Sum & Substance and Gold Edger I'm getting Blue Mammoth and Invincible. I guess they're all pretty pedestrian but I don't have many hostas yet and I have a pretty big space to fill.

I'm super excited about the ligularia. I've had Britt Marie Crawford for 2 years now and I love it.

12 years ago

Hostas I got this year are:

Blue Angel
    Blue Cadet
    Celestial
    Celebration of Angels
    Chantilly Lace
    Chinese Sunrise
    Flemish Sky
    Fragrant Blue
    Gold Standard
    Honey Bells
    Indigo
    Spacious Skies

I don't know exactly how many hostas I already have out there but their name tags are long gone.

• valleyrimgirl
    12 years ago

Gil,

Invincible....it is a beautiful hosta but also a slug magnet. So, plant it where you don't have problems with slugs. It has a very thin leaf.

I have an extensive database and keep track of all my perennials from their names to the year purchased, cost paid, company/person bought from, height, color description, location planted in my yard, etc etc.

I make a copper tag for each perennial arriving in my yard and now am also making up a metal tag and am using outdoor adhesive with my labeller to make up permanent name tags for each perennial. I have the majority of the hostas done now as well as a few irises, sempervivum and daylilies.

It sure makes it easier when trading/selling and also when taking pictures for myself or the website to have each perennial correctly named.

Honalee, I would highly recommend getting permanent name tags made for each perennial. I realized that I started to duplicate purchase perennials and that is what started me in keeping a detailed database. I found that my memory was just not good enough to keep track of each previous purchase.

Brenda

12 years ago

I have tried many different markers and none have worked perfectly. I have birds and puppies that like to remove the markers. I do have 'maps' of the gardens and I generally keep pretty good records as well so even if tags go missing I can ID them. I have all my perennials in binders with date, source, picture ect. and I do a spring and summer head count with my hardcopy lists. :) I could list all the hostas I bought and where but the list is long and not necessary for this forum. I seldom trade and never sell so I don't worry too much about it.

I have Invincible as well, growing at the north side of my neighbours house and it got quite a bit of slug damage this year as we had lots of rain!

Raven Girl is a new one for me from the ones you ordered, Brenda. :)

• northspruce
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I very rarely see a slug or slug damage. I had some in my tomatoes a few years ago and I bought a box of Safers slug bait and it seemed to take care of them. I'll make sure I apply bait in the hosta bed.

I also keep detailed maps of my gardens to keep track of names. I don't trust physical markers.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Love the plants from Pat at Fundy Beauties in NS and ships them in moss and arrive to BC in great condition for the fall plantings. The plants I got looked as if they have been planted for years when they emerged this spring. Also ordered another 27 mature clumps this year and will be here soon.Nice company to deal with and would recommend purchasing from him.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, my hostas that I bought last year are doing well even though our summer has been terribly dry. As a matter of note, the only one that has neither slug damage nor yellowing or scorching from the heat and dryness, is So Sweet. It looks absolutely perfect right into September. Night Before Christmas looks really good too.

Nice looking garden there, almosthooked.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Found this from Sept 12, 2012 where I posted a picture of first season HG Garden. It is raining again but went out and got a quick snap to see if they grew much. Yup.. just a bit
    Faye

• Pudge 2b
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Good job.

• User
    10 years ago

If you want them to reproduce I read on the cooking forum if you cut them for eating they multiply

"cut close to the roots, but not the roots. Interesting, the more you cut the more will grow for next year?

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Japanese Veggie

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County