Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats with the Calgary weed invasion?

Posted by canadianprairiegirl zone 3 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 1, 09 at 23:03

I was just in Calgary visiting my daughter and couldn't believe the weed seed heads blowing around and coming to rest knee deep in some places. The culprits seem to have large round heads with large dandelion spores....nothing that I have noticed in my own garden or area? Can anyone please identify???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats with the Calgary weed invasion?

We have something similar here in the hinterlands of BC altho I've never seen the seeds knee deep. We have them growing at the edge of our rural road. They have been described as dandelions on steroids! It's Western Goat's-Beard (Tragopogon dubius) and is on the invasive plant list for BC. Also called Western Salsify. I pull them whenever I find them when they are small. It's a losing battle tho, there are more weeds than I could ever pull on our acreage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Western Goat's-Beard

o

I pick the odd one just when it is fully opened and spray it with hairspray. It'll keep in a bud vaes with maybe a few dried grasses for over a year if you want it too. Tuff to dust so I just replace it.

o

yikes, it certainly does look like Western Goats Beard and it sounds like the weed from hell! I'm wondering if it has been introduced to that area recently or is it just a bumper year for weeds. Several native Calgarians have said they've never seen such a thing - the spores are literally everywhere!!!!

o

We have western goat's beard all over Calgary. I didn't know what it was called, but after looking, I've seen it all over in allleys and such.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here