Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Fall Bulbs 2007

Crazy_Gardener
16 years ago

So what bulbs are you fall planting this year?

This year I didn't do any mail orders but I did buy some bags today at Wal-Mart, I'll plant them tomorrow if it doesn't rain. It's great to save on shipping now that we have a Wal-Mart in town, just wish we had a Costco too.

Darwin Apeldoorn Tulips (32)

King Alfred Daffodils (50)

Only 2 more weeks till the first day of Autumn, I do enjoy this time of year too.

Sharon

Comments (72)

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

I picked up some Angelique tulips yesterday. I had a couple hours to burn while my youngest was at gymnastics. Being a true gardener, I went looking for fall bulbs first and then grocery shopping.
    I was thinking, we could have always had tulip stew. LOL

Shelley

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

I was back at Walmart today and bought some blue hyacinths for myself and allium "Purple Sensation" for my daughter-in-law's little girl. She liked the ones in my garden and we're planning on getting a garden started for her this fall sometime. I know hyacinths are borderline here, but i've had some come back for several years, so i'm taking a chance with the blue ones!

• cordel
    16 years ago

Good luck marciaz3 with the hyacinths. I got a few as a bonus one year, and they lived, but just. Then I moved them, and bought some more, and they started doing really well, so I keep separating them, spreading out, and buying more. Most years they bloom for quite a long time and one colour after the other, so the bed they are in remains beautiful for a long time.

16 years ago

The bed they're in has good snow coverage, so that may help. I've had them for three years but they haven't multiplied at all.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Shelley, that's so cool that you found a peony with your name in it! What colour is it? I wish I could find some something with my name in it. The closest I've found was a daylily with Lauren in the name. Close, but not quite. Gillian has a daylily too. Hmmm, maybe I'll have to hybridize something for myself!lol

I ordered 'Angelique' tulips through a fundraiser that my friend's daughter is campaigning for. I sure hope they come in before it gets too cold. That's too funny about the "tulip stew"......Shelley, at least you've got your priorities straight!lol

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Mmmm tulip stew and toaster shakin's... hang on that's a waste of tulips!

Laurie, did I mention "I"* produced seven seeds? Oooh how exciting to plant next spring! There must be a Laurie something out there somewhere... I will keep an eye out.

*The daylily Gillian.

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

It is kinda neat that I found a plant with my name. It's not spelled right, but it'll work. Sweet Shelly peony is a japanese- pink with cream in the middle. It kind of reminds me of Gay Paree.
    I'll have to search for a Laurie plant.
    Gil, your right I couldn't waste the tulips on stew. I hope they are true because I bought them from a bulk bin.

Shelley

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Shelly

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Wow, Sweet Shelly is gorgeous! I love those Japanese types.

Yeah, those darn kids are starting to whine about having toaster shakin's three nights in a row......LOL

Seven seeds out of Gillian, eh? I'm sure you'll get at least one fantastic daylily out of that. With any luck, some of my seedlings will bloom next year, and maybe I'll just have to name one after me. After all, I only had two boys, and I couldn't name them after me, so a daylily will be the next best thing!;0)

Oh yes, back to fall bulbs. My Cappucino lily bulbs came in today from Breck's. Now, hopefully they'll bloom true to name.....finger's crossed.

• gardenista
    16 years ago

I am still waiting for my bulb order from Veseys, but they reassured me that it was mailed Sept 24, so may Canada Post be swift! I know that these companies usually send to the lower zones first, but this feels a bit late to me. Most nights are cold, at 0 degrees celsius now. When do others in the very cold zones plant? I know that you need to have 6 weeks of "warm enough" weather for the bulbs to root.

Here is a link that might be useful: Northern Exposure Gardening blog

• gardenista
    16 years ago

I grow Iris reticulata in my ridiculously cold zone without problems! They are in full sun, on a bank where the snow melts first in spring. They bloom in April. The key to these tiny flowers is to plant lots of them fairly close together. Too few makes no impact and is barely visible!

Here is a link that might be useful: Northern Exposure Gardening (my blog)

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Hi Gardenista, are you new here? If so welcome! I love your blog. Late September does seem a little inconsiderate from Veseys... hope it arrives soon.

16 years ago

I spoke with someone from Veseys the day before yesterday and was assured that my order was going out very soon. When i made my order, i forgot to change the expiry date of my credit card, so they couldn't put it through. With any luck, it will arrive this coming week.

Gardenista, i've planted bulbs right through the snow some years and they've come through okay.

• inanda1
    16 years ago

My fall bulbs consist of some humoungous martagon seedlings from Alberta, from the MRLS bulb sale. Can't wait till next year.

Ginny

• prairierose
    16 years ago

I'm waiting for my Vesey's order too - a bunch of different spring-flowering bulbs. Hope it gets here soon!
    Connie

• dmd151
    16 years ago

Hi Sharon - I stumbled upon your postings when I was researching bacopa. You said that you recently bought some and will take cuttings. I have a beautiful one I brought indoors - want to know how to save it (sorry this doesn't have to do with bulbs ... I am new to this site)

• prairierose
    16 years ago

Well, my Vesey's order arrived yesterday - 25 large flowering mixed crocus, 100 wildflower bulb mix, 7 double daffodil mix, and 10 white daffodil mix. If I get somewhere, I want to pick up some white tulips, but for now I think I have enough to plant.

Dmd151, welcome to the forum. I don't know anything about bacopa, but I know Sharon will answer you as soon as she has a chance.

Connie

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

dmd151, go to link below ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Overwintering Tenders 2006

• cordel
    16 years ago

My order from Breck's came on Thursday, but they aren't all planted yet. Then today, our Vesey's order came. We got the iris reticulata, the snow crocus, some tulips and some hyacinths in, but there are a lot still to go. Vesey's sent me the right number of packages, but two of them were turks cap lilies, instead of the mini-daffodils that I ordered. I have e-mailed to see what they want me to do. I hope the weather stays good. We have the whole family home for the weekend, and I have pie to make before then, and a few other things to get ready.

• cordel
    16 years ago

Well, almost all the bulbs are in. Vesey's told me to keep the lilies, so I have to plant them, and also some Dutch iris from Breck's. As well, we dug up a bunch of over-crowded bulbs in our transplanting, and re-planted some, but still have some we need to find places for.

Right now it is so cold and rainy and nasty, they will have to wait for a little blue sky and warmth.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Vesey's is having a 50% sale off on their left over Fall Bulbs and Perennials.

Therefore I ordered these, since its too late to plant in our zone, I'll pot them up and store them in the pumphouse/ cold room.

Allium 'Gladiator' (2) $5.00
    Eremurus bungei Foxtail Lily (4) $5.00
    Fritillaria meleagris (12) $2.50
    Hemerocallis SUSAN PRICHARD PETIT $6.98
    Hemerocallis PANDORAÂS BOX $3.48
    Hemerocallis DESTINED TO SEE $6.98
    Iris reticulata (12) $1.98
    Iris danfordiae (12) $1.98
    Iris siberica 'Dance Ballerina Dance' $2.98
    Ixiolirion pallasii Sky Blue Mountain Lily (30) $2.50
    Lilium Asiatic Jacqueline (3) $3.98
    Nectaroscordum sicilian Honey Garlic (10) $2.50
    Paeonia lactiflora 'Raspberry Sundae' Peony $11.98
    Paeonia lactiflora 'Edulis Superba' Peony $5.98
    Paeonia lactiflora 'Pink Hawaiian Coral' Peony $29.48
    Phlox paniculata 'Orange Perfection' (2) $4.48
    Snow Crocus Mix (25) $2.50

Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Thanks, Sharon. I just called Vesey's and the sale just went up last night. The lady I talked to said that the plants were guaranteed 100%, the daylilies were field grown not tissue cultured (100% guaranteed to bloom true) and that I should plant the daylilies out right now into the ground. I was not sure of that since I never plant bareroot daylilies after the beginning of September because I would like them to get established before winter sets in. But, maybe next week.., I will try her method...maybe. Not sure...anyways, this is what I ordered... I will plant the peonies into the ground asap though.

Paeonia lactiflora 'PINK HAWAIIAN CORAL' Peony $29.48 (wanted one ever since Laurie posted her pictures of hers)Paeonia lactiflora 'SHIRLEY TEMPLE' Peony $6.48
    Paeonia lactiflora 'RED MAGIC' Peony $5.98
    Hemerocallis SUSAN PRICHARD PETIT $6.98
    Hemerocallis KANSAS CITY KICKER $6.98
    Hemerocallis NIGHT EMBERS $7.98
    Hemerocallis BLUEBERRY CREAM $7.98

With shipping and handling of $9.95 and Gst of $4.91 the total came to $86.72.

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brenda, I went back to Veseys and added 3 more daylilies to my order, let's hope they're not TC's ;)

KANSAS CITY KICKER
    BLUEBERRY CREAM
    CHERRY VALENTINE

Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

I am hoping not also...re TC. Guess we will find out in a year or two.

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brenda, keep your receipt ;)

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

I always do...a hard copy and one for the email folder of purchases of this year.

Sharon, have you ever had to return something to Vesey's before and what did you have to do to 'prove' it didn't make it or didn't bloom correctly?

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brenda, yes, I've had a few mislabeled or dead plants in the past, however, Vesey's do stand by their guarantee for customer satisfaction and have always credited my account with no questions asked.

No, not once have they requested that I return the unsatisfactory product back to them and if they did, they would be paying the shipping ;)

The only proof I have sent them is my confirmation email stating such and such is the wrong colour or the plant is dead. Within a day or two, an apology and a credit to my account was issued. (BTw, I'm using my $23 credit towards this last order.)

I'm not sure if they will honor their guarantee if it's over a year though? Most likely their daylilies will not bloom in the first year, therefore we wonÂt know for sure if they will be tissued cultured or 100% true. When they do bloom in their second/ third year, I sure hope that they would stand by their guarantee in this case. I'm sure they will, like I said they really stand by their guarantee policy and strive all they can to make the customer happy.

Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

That's good to know...thanks, Sharon.

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My Veseys order came today, everything looks alive and healthy except PANDORAÂS BOX daylily, there was nothing in the bag except peatmoss. I'll be writing for a credit for that one ;)

Brenda did you get yours too?

Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

I got mine today also. I phoned last Friday and they expected it to arrive to me tomorrow, so it was nice to see in the mail today.

The 3 peonies were healthy, with lots of little mini roots already. I planted them out into their permanent spots in the garden this afternoon.

The 4 daylilies all are healthy also. Since I already had Pandora's Box, I did not order it from Veseys. All the daylilies were just as large and healthy as ones I get from Lindenbergs and McFaydens. I need to plant them up yet but since I am growing them in the house for the winter there isn't the rush as there was with the peonies.

I tried to find info on the Blueberry Candy daylily I got today. I can't find the hybridizer and year. Anyone have any ideas?

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Check out Tinkers daylily database for information on Blueberry Candy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tinkers

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Sorry Sharon, I meant to say Blueberry Cream. That is the daylily I got from Veseys, not Blueberry Candy.

I tried Tinkers and they do not have a Blueberry Cream.

I have found it in a few wholesale places on the net but no info as to hybridizer or year.

I will try calling Vesey's directly to get the info.

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah you're right Brenda, there is really not much information on Blueberry Cream. Let me know what you find out.

Vesey's is sending out another PANDORAÂS BOX daylily, I'm happy about that.

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Have you noticed the obvious difference between VeseyÂs Fall catalogue and the website photo of BLUEBERRY CREAM????

Here is a link that might be useful: BLUEBERRY CREAM

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Sharon, I don't get the Vesey's catalogues (I will now).

What did the Blueberry Cream look like in the fall catalogue?

On my daylily package it just says Blueberry.

Called Vesey's yesterday am and the girl who answered passed the message, for info I need, to their horticulturist who orders all the daylilies. She has not gotten back to me yet.

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

See link below, they must get their plants from the same company.

I wrote an email to Veseys asking why the big difference. Here's the reply....

Hi Sharon
    Thank you for your email about the Blueberry Cream Daylily. I have checked with our horticulturist and this is her answer.
    The more yellow photo is closer to accurate, although there may be differences from one plant to the next. The undertone is yellow, however the blossoms may range from cream to pale yellow.

Here is a link that might be useful: BLUEBERRY CREAM (catalogue)

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Sharon, I talked to Stephanie, the horticulturist at Vesey's this morning. She mentioned the same thing that your email did, the picture is not right in the sale catalogue. BC has a yellow background with a purple (not blue) markings. I think I will like it. She also mentioned that she was contacting her supplier in Holland to see who the hybridizer and year is. But, she won't know anything for a week or two at the earliest.

Vesey's daylilies are all TC daylilies and she said that even if the daylilies do not bloom until 2 years from now, if they are misshapen or the coloring is incorrect that they will guarantee them and we would get a credit if that happens. So, keep track of this for a few years from now when we know what we actually got. That is also good to know. Not good because I don't think I would have ordered them if I would have known they were tissue cultured.

Nancy Oakes from Red Fern Gardens, in PEI, is the one the horticulturist goes to if she needs advice on daylilies. Nancy field grows her daylilies.

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I'm wondering why the first lady you talked to over the phone told you that they were not TC?

I ordered the Blueberry Cream according to the website photo. I really don't care for the catalogue photo. To me that is a big discrepancy between the two photos. For sure I will save this clipping and keep track of them when the do bloom.

Thanks for getting back to me Brenda.

Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

The receptionist at Vesey's is obviously not very informed. If she didn't know for sure, then she shouldn't have said that they were field grown. And to tell me to plant them out now, at this time of year....hmmmm, wonder if she has any daylilies at home.

Are we being a little hard on Vesey's? The plants I received were healthy. Just hope that they are true. I don't mind either look of the Blueberry Cream. Sharon, was your plastic bag with the BC also just marked Blueberry?

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I can't remember what the bag said?

I do recall the 'Raspberry Sundae' Peony just said Raspberry.

No, I still appreciate the customer service Veseys provides. But they do need to know about complaints, I'm sure alot of gardeners don't say anything.

Sharon

• prairie_gal_z2b
    16 years ago

Crazy Gardener,
    I can't find your email address and need to ask you about your pics, could you please email me?
    Thanks!

Hi all!
    I'm not planting any bulbs this year, but I planted hundreds last fall (about 340, on sale for a buck a bag!) but it was alot of work! I guess I just need a break from cold soil planting. I'm too cheap to buy bulbs at full price, but they never go on sale here until the ground is frozen 2 inches :( I guess that's what mulch is for!
    Happy gardening!
    Prairie gal

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Prairie Gal, the bulbs you planted...the 340...how did they do for you with all the mulch?

About 10 years ago I also got boxes of mixed bulbs for a really good sale price...$2...and remember planting them into ground that was clumping cold already...almost frozen solid. They all made it through and looked gorgeous for about 7 years or so. Most of the tulips have disappeared now but the pink and yellow alliums are still going strong.

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Prairie gal, that's alot of bulbs! I missed out from the closing out sale that our local Extra Foods had earlier in the Fall. Our Extra Foods store is changing to No Frills and my girlfriend just happened to go shopping at that particular moment of the day that they had reduced all their Fall bulbs down to 25¢ a bag! They were all gone when I went to check them out. Oh was I envy with green when she told me this ;)

You have mail PG.

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Brenda,this is my Blueberry Cream from Veseys this spring.

I really liked this one.

Shelley

• prairie_gal_z2b
    16 years ago

The bulbs were beautiful, totally worth it! I didn't take any pics though, I'll have to next year. There was a ton of double ones, parrots, greens, multiflowered, lots of soft pastels and bicolors, cute little daffodils and some monster ones with different frilly cups and saucers, mostly the fancy ones. I planted them in huge clumps of the same variety, all around some smaller reblooming lilacs and single peonies that line my driveway. I would estimate that at least half of it came up, which was fine.
    Unfortunately, I had a car parked in the driveway that cast shade on one side, so when I planted the bulbs that side was already completely frozen, and so I still only have tulips/daffodils on the south side of my driveway...oh well, maybe next year....! So that's 340 bulbs in an area 4 by 15 feet, with lilacs and peonies in the middle.
    The only thing about the planting is I don't have any smaller/bushy perennials planted there to hide the dying foliage of the bulbs, as the beds aren't very wide. I'd like to widen them (or at least the one!) sometime so that I can plant more in there to cover the dying foliage.
    Who knows? Maybe I'll find some on sale and do it again this year? But I'm secretly hoping I don't.
    I am totally, mentally, done for the year!LOL!
    Koren in Saskatoon
    aka prairie gal

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shelley, your Blueberry Cream is really nice, however is it ever far off from what Veseys website photo! Very misconceiving!

Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

If the Blueberry Cream that I got last week looks anything like Shelley's, I will be happy also. Thanks, Shelley for posting yours.

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh heck, at another forum someone posted a photo of their Blue Poppy Anemone's that are still blooming in Calgary and I had to have them. Once at the website I couldn't resist the others as well. I tell yah and I'll admit that I'm crazy!

All of them will be store in the pumphouse for their first winter.

Anemone coronaria 'Lord Lieutenant' (12) $3.48
    Arum maculatum Lords & Ladies $2.98
    Camassia 'Blue Melody' (3) $5.48
    Daffodil 'Golden Bells'(10) $5.48
    Gladiolus byzantinus Hardy Gladiolus (10) $2.50
    Hyacinth Double 'Holyhock' (3) $5.00
    Iris x hollandica Dutch Iris 'Eye of the Tiger'(8) $2.50
    Lilium Asiatic Lily 'Cappucino' (3) $4.98 (see if these actually come true this time)
    Lilium Oriental Lily 'Mojave' (2) $4.48
    Paeonia suffruticosa 'Kamata-nishiki' Tree Peony $19.97
    Paeonia officinalis 'Shirley Temple' $6.48

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Today I received my replacement PANDORAÂS BOX daylily in the mail today, huge, huge roots on this one, but not only that, they sent two PANDORAÂS BOX! I'm a happy camper ;)
    I'll have to write a thank you note to Veseys.

16 years ago

Well, hey, are you sure you don't want to share?? LOL

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

To add to my collection.....
    Paeonia lactiflora 'Cincinnati'

Iris germanica
    Gypsy Romance
    Jazz Festival
    Midnight Hour