Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

What's Still Blooming in Your Garden?

nutsaboutflowers
12 years ago

Here's what's still blooming like crazy in my yard =:)

Roses

Dianthus

Marigolds

Lavatera

Bachelor Buttons

Magellan Zinnia

Zinnia of some sort

Petunias

Impatiens

Coreopsis

The name escapes me right now

Yellow black eyed susan vine

A few stray Johnny Jump-ups

Combine all the blooms with the changing color of the leaves, and it's pretty uplifting for the moment. I'll deny what's coming next for a while still.......

What's still blooming for everyone else?

Comments (29)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Weeds!

• Slimy_Okra
    12 years ago

I'm not sure, I'm pretty clueless about most flowers.

But I have lots of veggies - spinach, chard, bok choy, beets, that are their prime now. Fabulous fall, but I only wish we got all these above-normal temperatures in spring!

• don555
    12 years ago

Hybrid tea roses, marigolds and clematis are still going strong. The last of the liatris blooms add a bit of colour too.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

My heliopsis just keeps going on and on, though it looks like it's nearing its end. Same with echinacea. Most roses have a couple of blooms and may flush out again if this weather holds. There are some petunias too - they were late rescues and took awhile to start looking half decent. Other than that, there are hollyhocks way up at the tips of the stalks (some are around 12 feet high! LOL), but they should be cut back soon. There are a few rudbeckia as well, and my granddaughter found a pink verbena last night that she was really thrilled about. :)

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

We are going thru a mild spell right now and there's still a few things blooming. The malva, both Mauritainia and Zebrina, are putting on quite a show. The Rose of Sharon is to. Can't figure out why one of the lavender bushes has a branch with white flowers! Rudbeckia, Prairie Sun, various dianthes, daylilies, heliopsis, gazania and Blue Knoll and Court Jester Chrysanthemums. Marg

{{gwi:777602}}
    {{gwi:777604}}

Blur Knoll Chrysanthemums
    {{gwi:777606}}
    Kiss and Tell Gazanias
    href="http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/ss132/marg_2009/?action=view&current=DSC01540.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:777608}}
    Court Jester Chrysanthemums
    href="http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/ss132/marg_2009/?action=view&current=DSC01541.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:777610}}

May May is sending up rebloom scapes.
    {{gwi:777612}}

Blackberry Candy is doing a great job of flowering this year.
    {{gwi:665665}}

12 years ago

Those crysanthemums look almost exactly like the wild asters we get around here. The asters aren't so moundy those. Very nice pics!

The asters are still blooming here - forgot to mention them.

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

Marcia, they do belong to the aster family but they are Heteroppapus Blue Knoll. Had to look that one up! I saw them in the Parks catalogue and thought they were neat. Now I just have to figure out how to collect seed from them - or maybe I'll just take cuttings. Have to decide fast because we got down to 5C. last night. Marg

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Everything I listed at the beginning is still blooming like crazy, including new blooms on Baby Face Phlox, and Verbena.

I have some bulbs to plant, and the area would be ideal for the tulips, but I just can't bring myself to pull out and throw away a whole bed full of beautiful blooms.

Beautiful pictures as usual Marg.

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

I still have lots of poppies blooming and some Edelweiss and of course baskets.That's it .

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

Foxglove, Nepeta, Shasta Daisy, late blooming Asiatic lillies (that one shocks me), poppies, violas, Achillia and a few others yet. They are starting to look awfully tatty though.

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

I forgot that my Holly hocks are still blooming like crazy. Single red and single yellow.

• valleyrimgirl
    12 years ago

Here it is October 8th and some of the flowers are still going. I have sedums of all sorts blooming, Kristin rose, After Awhile Crocodile Daylily, some heuchera on their second flush of flowers, violas, asters, phlox, gaillardia and of course, hostas.

12 years ago

Brenda, will heuchera send up more scapes? I've never cut mine back until fall or even spring. Some years they bloom into the late summer before dying off. I'd love it if they'd bloom again in the fall.

I don't have a lot blooming - bits and pieces of a white phlox, some malva, asters, and i haven't looked the past couple of days but clematis 'General Sikorsky' was blooming ahile back. It was just planted this year and is pretty short still. :) But i did discover some calendula that i'd forgotten i planted and they're blooming beautifully now. I must remember next year to plant more in different places because it sure is lovely.

• valleyrimgirl
    12 years ago

Some of my heuchera bloom once and then, as soon as they finish blooming I will cut the bloom stalk off and they bloom again later. It also depends upon where you plant them in your yard, whether in more sun/shade. Some heuchera also will bloom a lot later than others for their very first time of the season.

Oh yah,...Marcia, you mentioned clematis. My Sweet Autumn clematis is blooming right now too and has been for a week or two already.

Brenda

• mytime
    12 years ago

First hard frost this am, so today's list might be different, but as of yesterday:
    roses
    siberian blues (Dianthus amurensis)
    silly canary vine
    godetia
    salpiglossis
    pansies and violas
    poppies (California and shirley)
    tiger lilies
    some of the dahlias (in particular, one of the Arabian Nights is stunning!)
    sweet peas
    potentilla bushes
    sedum
    All in all, a lot of color (other than leaves, which are mostly gone now) for this time of year in our area. Some years, everything is done for by the first week of September.

12 years ago

Incredible as it is, there's a delphinium that's going to bloom soon. It was wintersown this year. And one of my hollyhocks has sent up a couple of stalks that hopefully will bloom if the weather holds out.

I am SO loving this weather!!

• davidpeaceriver__2b
    12 years ago

Ugh, my Jersualem Artichokes are *just* about to bloom, and the forecast is a for a freeze within the next few days. Maybe I can force them in some warm water.

12 years ago

Still have buds on my mini carnations in pots. Am wondering if they will come back if I put them in the ground? Also have blooms on my other dianthus and a mum of some sort. Snapdragons continue to bloom for me up until a hard frost and that is about it in this yard. Looks like we may get frost in the next couple of days........:(

Ginny

12 years ago

By mini-carnations, do you mean dianthus? They'll cme back.

I didn't mention calendula. I swear that next year i'm going to plant a ton of it - it's beautiful now!

12 years ago

They are all dianthus. I think the ones in the pots are the Super Trooper series and a couple of other new ones. I have peach, pink with white, white, yellow, red, burgundy, purple, purple and white, red and white, white and pink, solid pink (about 4 shades) and lilac or something. I can'
    t remember exactly but there are about 10 different colors and patterns. All are doubles and rather floriferous little guys. I hope they will survive the winter if I put them in the ground. They are one of my favorite flowers. :)

Ginny

12 years ago

They sound beautiful! I think you need to save some seeds from them!

12 years ago

I'll see what I can do Marcia. I don't know if they are hardy here but I have been dead heading like crazy. I'll save some for you if I can. :)

Ginny

12 years ago

I just noticed some bacopa in a container starting to bloom again. Wow!

No below 0 temps forecasted until next week, but it's awful cold and rainy now - typical October weather.

Thanks, Ginny - it would be great if you could get some seeds!

12 years ago

Marcia ~ Email me your address and I will send them to you. I don't know if I have all the tags for the colors but I will do my best to label them. I'll get a few pics of the ones that are still blooming. :)

Here is a picture of aster Woods pink doing it's best to bloom. I just planted this little one in August.

gardenofangels200@shaw.ca

Ginny

12 years ago

I never got around to deadheading the 'Rose Beauty' aster, and i should have - it might still be blooming too. 'Professor von Klippenberg" is blooming in a couple of spots but i need to move one of them because those darn hollyhocks are hiding everything!

12 years ago

Just looked them up and saw this:
    Dianthus super trooper has been a spring staple at the greenhouses as long as I've worked there. This is an impressive crop with less casualties then usual. Shades of pink and apricote, white, red and orange. Although it's sold mostly as an annual, dianthus super trooper is actually hardy through zones 6-9. The specimens I planted in the garden last year seem completely unscathed by our winter, which is pretty good in my books, we were down to -10 this year.
    They sure are pretty!

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

I was working like a mad woman out in the yard today trying to get stuff done that should have been finished weeks ago, when I looked up and was stunned to see an asiatic lily blooming! It stopped me dead in my tracks while I admired it.
    There's lots still blooming, but we're in for a major change in the weather it seems.

12 years ago

With me it was that delphinium with buds on it that really gave me a turn. And i forgot to go outside and check for sure (too darn cold anyway), but it looks like Peach Stella is throwing up another scape! There are pictures of my flowers in the Gallery, the ones that are blooming now, i mean.

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

My Lavender is sending up new blooms...crazy, lol.